How To Treat Hormonal Acne Naturally
Acne is a skin condition very common in the stage of puberty, but can also appear in adulthood and in most cases is a result of hormonal imbalances in the body. When acne has a hormonal origin, it is usually manifested by deep, cystic and quite sensitive to touch spots, most often seen on the cheeks and along the lines of the jaw.
In addition dermatological treatment, if acne is very pronounced, it is also possible to fight it through natural treatments and good hygiene. Pay attention to this article from oneHOWTO in which we reveal how to eliminate hormonal acne naturally.
- What is hormonal acne?
- How to treat hormonal acne fast
- Treat hormonal acne naturally: Aloe Vera
- Treat acne fast: primrose oil
- How to treat acne fast: tea tree oil
- Home remedies for acne: green tea
- Natural ways to treat hormonal acne scars: honey and lemon mask
- How to regulate hormones: Brewer’s yeast
- How to treat hormonal acne without medication
What is hormonal acne?
In many cases, the main trigger of acne is a hormonal imbalance in the body, which commonly happens in specific stages of our lives and, among other symptoms, can cause the appearance of grain sprouts and imperfections. Here we list times when acne may appear to be more frequent:
- Puberty: this is the stage in which many hormonal changes occur and, consequently, the skin secretes a greater amount of fat. The grains appear more frequently in the T zone of the face, which is where there is a greater number of sebaceous glands.
- Pregnancy: During pregnancy, the female body undergoes important hormonal changes and these can increase the production of the sebaceous glands and cause acne breakouts, in addition to other changes in the dermis, such as spots and stretch marks.
- Menstruation: during your cycle you can see the appearance of pimples in the area of the jaw and chin, which happens because during the days of the period, the hormones act directly on the surface of the skin.
- Stress: stress acts directly on the androgenic hormones, causing a greater production of sebum and an inflammation of the sebaceous glands.
- Taking oral contraceptives.
- Suffering from a specific hormonal disorder, such as polycystic ovary syndrome (PCOS).
How to treat hormonal acne fast
Before resorting to any natural treatment for hormonal acne, it is very important that you pay attention to the proper cleaning of the skin to avoid outbreaks getting worse due to excess of grease or dirt. There are some basic rules that should be taken into account when cleaning an acne prone face, and these are the following:
- Clean your face twice a day: once in the morning and once at night, to remove all accumulated dirt and grease, as well as traces of makeup.
- Use the right products for cleaning: in case of pronounced acne, an anti-acne lotion recommended by the dermatologist should be used. If acne is milder, a specific cleansing gel for oily or acne-free skin can be beneficial. Try find some gels that don’t contain oils, are water-based, alcohol-free, fragrance-free and non-comedogenic.
- There are natural soaps that also function against pronounce acne. We recommend using soaps that contain green tea, oatmeal, green clay, coconut, tea tree or aloe vera.
- Always use warm or cold water, avoiding hot water on the face.
- Always remove cleaning lotion or gel with water.
- Dry the skin softly and never rub the skin roughly with a towel.
In addition, if you like to wear makeup, we recommend always cleaning off your makeup properly when you get home and especially before you go to bed.
Treat hormonal acne naturally: Aloe Vera
One of the best remedies that help to eliminate hormonal acne naturally is the use of aloe vera or aloe. The benefits of aloe to cure or prevent acne are extensive. Not only is this plant good for acne, but it is also highly recommended for its astringent and regenerating benefits. Using this ingredient could result in reduction of the fat in the skin, a faster swelling of the grains and the repair damaged tissues, preventing the appearance of scars or marks.
You only need a little aloe vera gel, either extracted directly from a sheet of aloe or a lotion purchased at the pharmacy. Apply it directly onto the acne affected area and let it act for at least 20 or 30 minutes.
Treat acne fast: primrose oil
Evening primrose oil is undoubtedly one of the best natural products used to combat hormonal acne. This oil has many benefits for women's health, including that of hormonal regulation. Thanks mainly to its content in linoleic and gamma-linoleic acids, they regulate the hormonal system and function as an excellent natural treatment to relieve and improve the symptoms of premenstrual syndrome and menopause. This oil also manages to reduce the excessive production of sebum, in turn reducing inflammation of the spots and preventing the appearance of new impurities.
You can apply the evening primrose oil directly onto the skin or dilute this liquid in your usual anti-acne cream to enhance its effects. Another option is to incorporate evening primrose oil capsules into usual diet; the general dose ranges between 4 and 8 grams daily, although it is always advisable that you follow the instructions in the leaflet or the guidelines of your doctor or nutritionist.
How to treat acne fast: tea tree oil
It is also possible to use tea tree oil as a natural treatment for hormonal acne. Tea tree oil has potent antibacterial, antiseptic, anti-inflammatory and healing properties. In fact, it offers incredible results in the healing of acne. It prevents bacterial proliferation in the skin, unblocks pores, reduces swelling of pimples and allows the damaged skin to recover and heal quickly.
Dilute about 5 drops of tea tree essential oil into 1/2 cup of water and when the mixture is ready, apply it directly onto clean skin with the help of a cotton pad. Allow the product to dry on its own overnight. The next day, rinse with plenty of warm or cold water.
Home remedies for acne: green tea
Green tea is a popular infusion that exerts great antibacterial action when applied to the skin, in addition to promoting the regulation of hormonal activity. Green tea also prevents imbalances that occur in the production of sebaceous glands, thus keeping the skin free of spots and other imperfections.
You just have to prepare an infusion of green tea and wait for it to cool. Then, apply it directly onto the acne affected areas by using a cotton disk. If you add 1 tablespoon of apple cider vinegar to this infusion, you will increase its effectiveness.
Natural ways to treat hormonal acne scars: honey and lemon mask
You can also make homemade masks by using simple ingredients. These masks can also help to eliminate hormonal acne naturally. In this case, we suggest making a honey and lemon mask, since both these ingredients are anti-acne products. Honey cleanses the skin deeply, reduces impurities and provides hydration, while lemon is a great natural astringent that reduces fat, dries out pimples quickly and prevents acne marks.
Mix 2 tablespoons of honey with 1/2 tablespoon of freshly squeezed lemon juice and apply to clean skin, leaving on for 30 minutes before washing off with warm water.
How to regulate hormones: Brewer’s yeast
Brewer's yeast is perfect to eliminate hormonal spots. On the one hand, it is very rich in zinc, which is a mineral that helps regulate the hormonal system and contribute to the synthesis of hormones such as the thyroid, progesterone and testosterone. On the other hand, it has great properties for the skin, it functions as a regenerative and helps the skin renew itself completely from its innermost layers.
- You can include the brewer's yeast in your diet as a natural supplement by purchasing the capsules. These capsules are available in pharmacies or herbalists. You can also purchase this yeast in powder form and add it to your food as an ingredient.
- Alternatively, you can make a homemade anti-acne mask by adding 2 small spoons of brewer's yeast in 1 cup of boiling water and add about 10 drops of lemon juice. Once cold, apply the mixture onto the skin and let it work for about 20-30 minutes.
How to treat hormonal acne without medication
Eating properly can help you treat hormonal acne without medication. To combat hormonal acne effectively and promote healing of the skin, it is very important to pay attention to your daily diet, since there are certain ingredients that can help eliminate pimples more quickly and others, that can aggravate the imperfections already present on the skin. Take note of these significant dietary recommendations to control hormonal acne:
- Follow a balanced and healthy diet, rich in fresh fruits and vegetables.
- Include nutrients such as omega 3, beta-carotene, zinc and vitamins B6 and C in your daily diet.
- Drink plenty of water during the day.
- Avoid the consumption of foods rich in fats and sugars, as well as red meat and whole milk products.
- Limit the consumption of drinks with caffeine and alcohol.
If you want to read similar articles to How To Treat Hormonal Acne Naturally, we recommend you visit our Beauty & Personal Care category.