How Often Should I Shave My Pubic Area - Female and Male
How often you should shave your pubic area depends on your hair, and how you want you pubic area to look like. If you are blonde and have few, thin hair, then every 4 days or once a week is fine. If you hair is thick and dark, you would need to shave every other day if you want to be smooth.
Remember that shaving is a personal choice, so any suggestion given in this article is intended to guide you towards looking the way you want to look. If you like a natural look, do not shave. It is entirely your choice. It is not just a matter of how often you should shave your pubic hair, but also how much pubic hair you should shave. Nowadays, men like to shave their pubes too, so in this article we also talk about how often guys shave their pubic hair. Read on this oneHOWTO article to discover how often should I shave my pubic area, for female and male.
Should you shave your pubic area - female and male
Here is a bit of pubes shaving history: pubic shaving has been carried out since the times of the Egyptian Pharaoh, and was regularly practised in ancient Greece and Rome. Pubic hair was considered dirty at that time. In Medieval times, pubic shaving became uncommon, only to come back on trend in the mid 1900s. It was only in the 1980s that pubic shaving became the norm, for females only. This was not only due to the fact that wearing bikini reveals the pubic area, but also to the increasing popularity of porn movies, in which women were shaved.
On the other hand, in other cultures such as Islamic culture, shaving the pubic area has always been the norm for both men and women, and it is not connected to wearing a bikini.
The answer to the question: should you shave your pubic area, depends on your culture, and especially your personal preference. Lately, there is a trend towards full boldness for both men and women, but not everybody likes that.
Shaving the pubes does not mean more hygiene. As long as you keep clean and wash your pubic are with a mild soap, there is no reason to think pubic hair is dirty.
So, should you shave your pubic area? There is no medical reason to do that, it is more due to aesthetics, and what you and your partner like.
Now let's see how much you should shave your pubic area.
How much should I shave my pubic area?
Before we learn how often should I shave my pubic area, let's see the different ways you can shave, i.e. how much should I shave my pubic area
How much should I shave my pubic area - females:
- Au naturale pubic hair: if you think pubic hair looks natural, sexy, and simply show you are a woman, then do not shave your pubes at all.
- Trimmed: if you like your pubic hair, but it bothers you when it gets long, just trim it from time to time.
- Edges: if you are only bothered by the hair that comes out of your bikini, then shave the edges when you go swimming and leave the rest untouched.
- Landing strip: if you do not like the "baby look" but want to always be tidy and hairless, you can leave a strip of hair above the vulva and/or all the way down.
- Bare: if you hate pubic hair, shave all of it.
How much should I shave my pubic area - males:
- Au naturale pubic hair: this is the way most men used to be until recently, totally unshaved.
- Strip: when you shave the edges and leave a triangle of hair on the upper part of the pubic area and a strip of hair all the way down.
- Triangle: when you only leave a triangle of hair on the upper part of your pubic area.
- Nearly fully shaved: when only the testicles are left with hair.
- Fully shaved: pubic area, as well as testicles, are shaved.
Now that you know the style you like, let's come to the original question: how often can I shave my pubic area.
How often can I shave my pubic area - female
There are a few factors to consider before we answer to the question how often can I shave my pubic area:
- Your personal preference: are you really bothered by pubic hair or are you OK with it?
- What is the purpose of your pubic shaving? Boyfriend, sex, swimming, or just yourself? That will determine how often you should shave your pubic area.
- The kind of method you use to remove hair is very important when it comes to how often can I shave my pubic area. The main methods are: shaving, waxing, clipping, tweezing, threading, or laser treatment, they all require different maintenance.
- The type and quantity of hair you have.
If you want to keep your pubic area smooth all the time, you should shave everyday, wax every 15 days, or go for laser treatment sessions every year.
If you only shave when you have to wear a bikini, or meet a guy, do it before those events, and repeat once a month, just to keep the hair short and manageable.
It is not advisable to shave everyday for a prolonged period of time, because bumps and irritations might appear. On the long run, every other day is better. Remember that you should avoid shaving during your period.
Waxing is the best way to look absolutely smooth, but you cannot wax more often than every 15 days, so there will be 3 or 4 days when your hair will be visible.
A popular option is to trim the hair regularly, and then shave the pubic area once every 15 days or so with a good electric razor.
Doctors suggest not to shave or wax the area immediately close to the vagina opening, as the skin tends to be very sensitive.
Keep in mind that you can shave as often as you like, your hair won't be thicker or grow faster. However, it is true that waxing will reduce both the quantity of pubic hair and the frequency with which they grow back, so that might be the best long term option, even better if paired with laser.
Now that you know how often can I shave my pubic area for females, let's see how often can I shave my pubic area for males.
How often can I shave my pubic area - male
Again, there are many reasons why a man might want to shave his pubic area. Sun bathing, sex, hygiene, aesthetics, impressing girls are all good reasons to shave. However, you should know that not all women like men who shave their pubes, so if you are asking how often should guys shave their pubic hair to impress a girl, you better understand whether she likes shaved pubes or not.
Waxing is not an option for most men, as it is extremely painful for them. However, men can shave their pubic area. For testicles, read our article on how to shave testicles safely.
If you shave, you should avoid shaving everyday for long periods of time as you might get an irritation. If you really want to look smooth all the time, shave every other day. If, on the other hand, you simply want to look tidy, shaving every 4-5 days will suffice.
If you only want to feel more comfortable with you pants, or during oral sex, you could try to simply trim you hair once a week.
So, here you have the answer to the question How often can I shave my pubic area male and female, but remember, it should always be a personal choice dictated by your personal taste.
If you'd like to read similar articles to How Often Should I Shave My Pubic Area - Female and Male, we recommend you browse around our Beauty & Personal Care category.