How Often Should I Shave My Pubic Area - Female and Male
How often you should shave down there depends on your hair and personal preference. If you are blonde and have thin hair, we recommend shaving your lady parts or male parts every 4 days or once a week. If, however, you hair is thick and dark and you want a smooth pubic area, you might need to shave more often. Remember that shaving is a personal choice, so any suggestion given in this article is intended to guide you towards looking the way you want to look. If you like a natural look, don’t shave, it is entirely your choice.
It is not just a matter of how often you should shave your pubic area, female or male, but also how much pubic hair you should shave. Keep reading this oneHOWTO article for more about the benefits of shaving pubic area and how often you should shave down there.
Should you shave your pubic area - female and male
Let’s take a look at the short pubes shaving history: pubic shaving has been carried out since Egyptian Pharaoh times and was regularly practiced in ancient Greece and Rome. At that time, pubic hair was considered dirty. In Medieval times, pubic shaving became more uncommon, only to come back into fashion in the mid 1900s. It was only in the 1980s that pubic shaving became the norm, for females only. This was not only due to the fact that wearing bikini reveals the pubic area, but also due to the increasing popularity of porn movies, which depicted clean shaved women. On the other hand, in other cultures such as Islam, shaving the pubic area has always been the norm for both men and women and has is not related to swimwear.
The answer to the question: should you shave your pubic area depends on your culture. In addition, pubic hair removal also depends on personal preference. If you want to let your pubic hair grow out naturally and sport a natural ‘bush’, go for it! Shaving pubes does not mean that you are more or less hygienic than others. As long as you keep your pubic area/private area clean and wash your pubic area with a mild soap, there is no reason to think pubic hair is dirty.
So, should you shave your pubic area? Medically and scientifically speaking, there is no study that says you should shave your pubic hair, there are no benefits of shaving pubic are. Females and males, shaving your vagina or shaving your crotch area is an aesthetically driven practice. Some people also opt to shave in correlation with their partners. For example, some men like more hair around the vagina and some men don’t and this same rule applies to women.
How often should you shave down there?
Before we answer how often should I shave my pubic area, let's see the different ways you can shave, i.e. how much should I shave off my pubic area.
How to shave your pubic area - females:
- Au naturale pubic hair: if you think natural pubic hair looks sexy and womanly, there is no need to shave your pubic hairs at all.
- Trimmed vagina: if you like your pubic hair, but it bothers you when it gets a little longer, you can trim this private area from time to time.
- Edges: if you are only bothered by the hair that peaks out of your bikini, then shave the edges of your vagina when you go swimming and leave the rest untouched.
- Landing strip: if you do not like the "baby look" but want to be ‘‘tidy’’ and hairless, you can leave a strip of hair above the vulva and/or all the way down.
- Bare: if you hate pubic hair, shave all of it. Shaving your entire vagina can, however, cause itchiness and ingrown hairs. For this reason, many women suggest waxing your vagina.
These vagina pubic hair styles will also help distinguish how often should you shave your vagina.
How to shave pubic area - males:
- Au naturale pubic hair: this is the way most men have left their pube area until recently, totally unshaved.
- Strip: when you shave the edges and leave a triangle of hair on the upper part of the pubic area and a strip of hair all the way down.
- Triangle pubes: when you leave only a triangle of hair on the upper part of your pubic area.
- Nearly fully shaved: when only the balls are left with hair on them but the rest of the crotch area is shaved.
- Fully shaved: pubic area, as well as testicles, are shaved.
Once you have chosen a pubic shaving style which you like, let's return to the original question: how often should you shave pubes.
For more, we recommend reading our article where we discuss all the ways to remove pubic hair.
How often should you shave your vagina?
There are a few factors to consider before we answer to the question how often should you shave your vag:
- Your personal preference: are you really bothered by pubic hair or are you OK with it?
- What is your reason for shaving your pubes? Boyfriend, sex, swimming, or just because you want to? This will factor into how often should a girl shave her pubic area.
- What is the best way to remove pubic hair? The method you use to remove pubic or vagina hair is very important when it comes to how often you can shave your pubic area. The main methods of shaving include: shaving, waxing, clipping, tweezing, threading or laser treatment, which all require different maintenance.
- The type and quantity of hair you have.
If you want to keep your pubic area smooth all the time, you should; shave everyday, wax every 15 days or opt for yearly laser treatment.
If you only shave for summer, when you want to wear a bikini, or before a date than shave only before these events. After shaving, repeat once a month, just to keep the hair short and manageable. Make sure you know how to shave the bikini area without red bumps if you want the area to always look its best.
It is not advisable to shave everyday for a prolonged period of time. Shaving everyday can cause the appearance of bumpy skin in the vaginal area and irritations. On the long run, every other day is better. Remember that you should avoid shaving during your period.
Waxing is the best way to have an absolutely smooth vaginal area. However, you cannot wax more than every 15 days, this means that there will be 3 or 4 days when your hair will be visible. For more, take a look at our article where we discuss: What are the types of intimate waxing.
A popular option that many people opt for is to trim the hair regularly and then shave the pubic area once every 15 days or so with a good electric razor.
Doctors suggest that you do not shave to close to the areas too close to your vagina opening. This is because this vaginal skin is very sensitive and can cut easily. Keep in mind that you can shave as often as you like, your hair won't be thicker or grow faster. However, it is true that waxing will reduce both the quantity of pubic hair and the frequency with which they grow back. Waxing your vagina or laser treatment are both considered to be better long term options for removing pubic hair.
For more, we recommend reading our article where we discuss how to shave your bum hair.
Now that you know how often can I shave my pubic area for females, let's see how often can I shave my pubic area for males.
How often should you shave your pubes? - male
Many men wonder, ‘‘How often should you shave your balls?’’ Again, there are many reasons why a man might want to shave his pubic area. Sun bathing, sex, hygiene, aesthetics, impressing girls are all common reasons that men shave their crotch area. However, you should know that not all women like men who shave their pubes, so if you are asking how often should guys shave their pubic hair to impress a girl, it’s better to know whether women like men to shave their private area or not.
Waxing is not an popular option for most men, as it can prove to be extremely painful. When it comes to shaving your ball area,we recommend reading our article on how to shave testicles safely.
If you want to shave your pub area, you should avoid shaving everyday for long periods of time as it cause cause a shaving rash or irritation. If you really want to have a smooth private area, we recommend shaving every other day. On the other hand, if you only want to look tidy down there, shaving every 4-5 days will suffice. Take a look here at; How You Can Shave Your Genital Area For Sex.
If you are shaving to feel more comfortable when wearing pants or for oral sex, you could opt for trimming you pubic hair once a week.
If you want to read similar articles to How Often Should I Shave My Pubic Area - Female and Male, we recommend you visit our Beauty & Personal Care category.