How to make Matte Lipstick at Home - A Simple Recipe
Matte Lipstick is the new craze. It looks sophisticated and can look good on you anywhere and at any time. Although you will find lots of choices in color, finding the right tone is quite difficult. Even when you find the perfect tone you might not find it in the market when you visit the second time.
So, the best alternative is to make homemade matte lipstick. This will help you in having your favorite tone in abundant quantity, and since you will be making it with natural products it will be healthy and relatively cheaper than the one found at your local beauty shop.
In this oneHOWTO article we will know how to make Matte Lipstick at home.
Ingredients required to make your own matte lipstick are:
- 1 teaspoon Vaseline or Petroleum jelly or Beeswax
- 1 teaspoon Oil (coconut oil, vegetable oil, olive oil or baby oil)
- 1 teaspoon Shea butter or Cocoa butter
- ¼ teaspoon Bentonite Clay (for the matte texture)
- A small round container
For the matte color you can either use eye shadow or you can pick other natural alternatives such as:
- Red: 1/8 teaspoon of beetroot powder or 1 drop of natural red food coloring.
- Brown/ Tan: ¼ teaspoon of organic cocoa powder or a tiny pinch of cinnamon.
Take a look at how to make black lipstick at home if this is the color you're aiming for.
If you are using bees wax then melt the bees wax, shea/cocoa butter and oil.
If you are using Vaseline or petroleum jelly then simply mix it with shea/ cocoa butter and oil.
To get the matte hue pick out your desired eye shadow color. Either use loose eye shadow or if you are using the pressed powdered eye shadow then crush it so that no lump remains. Then mix the eye shadow powder to the mixture made in above step.
If you are using the natural color then add your desired ingredient to achieve the desired hue. The best thing is that you can experiment by adding different ingredients in different amount to achieve lots of light and dark shades.
Now add the bentonite clay to the mixture to achieve the matte texture in your lipstick and mix it well.
If you have used the Vaseline or petroleum jelly then simply transfer the mixture in the container and your matte lipstick is now ready to use.
But if you have used the beeswax then your lipstick is still in liquid state. Pour it in the container such that it is a little below the top. This is because the lipstick will expand as it cools down.
Store the matte lipstick in a cool place (i.e. under 80 degrees) or else it will soften - and that's it!
Now you have your own lipstick ready to use, why not find out how to apply your lipstick to get the best look for your lip shape?
As well as the previous tips, if you want your matte lipstick to look perfect and last longer, we recommend bearing the following things in mind when painting them:
- Hydrate them by applying a lip balm. Discover how to make one yourself in our article on how to make a homemade lip balm.
- First apply a small amount of foundation on your lips with a sponge or brush.
- Follow the contours of your lips with an eyeliner pencil of the same shade as your chosen lipstick.
- Apply the matte lipstick with the help of a specific brush and then dab your lips with a piece of toilet paper.
- Apply a second coat of matte lipstick to get a better finish.
Do not forget that it will be impossible to get good matte lipstick if your lips are not well hydrated and in perfect condition. The best thing is to exfoliate them at least once a week to remove dead cells and leave them free of unsightly bits of skin. To do this, use a commercial exfoliating lotion or prepare a homemade one using natural products such as sugar, honey, coffee or almond oil. In the article how to make a scrub for your lips you can see the full recipe.
If you want to read similar articles to How to make Matte Lipstick at Home - A Simple Recipe, we recommend you visit our Beauty & Personal Care category.