How to Make a Honey Lip Balm at Home
Are your lips dehydrated and full of unsightly bits of skin? This is a clear sign that your lips are suffering from deep skin dehydration. As well as feeling irritated, your lips won't look very attractive or moist. To deal with this situation, there is no better ally than a super moisturizing and nourishing lip balm that helps to instantly repair tissue damage. At OneHowTo, we are committed to the effectiveness of natural cosmetics, so in this article we'll show you how to make a honey lip balm at home which is very simple and gives truly spectacular final results.
Frequent use of a lip balm is essential for keeping lips fully hydrated and to prevent them drying out in both winter and summer. No matter what the season, lips need to be well moisturized in the same way as the skin on the rest of your body in order to prevent dryness and the appearance of cracks or annoying dry patches of skin.
There are natural products with very beneficial properties which can regenerate and nourish the skin on the lips, and which provide a greater amount of moisture than commercial lip balms. For this reason, making your own homemade lip balms is a really good choice. In this article, we give you 2 recipes, with one simple one and one that takes a little more effort. Both of them will allow you to develop a honey-based balm. Honey is one of the best natural moisturizers in existence. It protects the lips from all external agents that can dry them out and damage them.
The first recipe to make honey lip balm at home is easier than the second. For this, you will just need three ingredients detailed below:
- 1 tablespoon of beeswax. This can be found in health food shops or specialty shops selling natural products.
- 2 teaspoons of honey.
- 3 tablespoons of almond oil. Like honey, this has a great moisturizing effect and provides extra softness to the lips.
- In addition to the ingredients, you need a jar or a small container with a lid for the lip balm.
In order to prepare this honey lip balm you need to follow these steps:
- In a saucepan, add the beeswax and melt it over the heat by using a bain marie technique.
- Once the beeswax has melted, add the almond oil and continually stir with a spoon or spatula to allow the mixture to warm up over medium heat for about 4 minutes.
- Then, turn off the heat and add the honey, stirring it well so it blends together with the other ingredients.
- Finally, pour the mixture into the jar or small container you want to store the lip balm in. When the preparation has cooled, cover the container and leave it to rest for about 12 hours in a cool, dry place. After this time, it will be ready to apply on your lips.
The above preparation provides very good results, but if you want to add even more moisturizing ingredients to your honey lip balm then take a look at this second recipe. Shea butter is also included in this recipe. This nourishes the skin from the inner layers, provides vitamin E which is ideal for rejuvenating tissues and conserving all of the lip balm's properties. Adding a few drops of another natural oil like rosehip will completely repair cracked or very dry lips.
For this recipe, you'll need the following ingredients:
- 1 tablespoon of beeswax
- 2 teaspoons of honey
- 3 tablespoons of almond oil
- 1 teaspoon of shea butter
- 1 vitamin E capsule
- 5 drops of rosehip oil
To prepare it, follow the instructions detailed below:
- Add the beeswax and shea butter to a saucepan, so that they mix together over the heat in a bain marie.
- When they have melted, add the almond oil and stir for 4 minutes so that they are warmed over a medium heat.
- Then turn off the heat, add the honey and 5 drops of rosehip oil. Stir the mixture until all the ingredients are fully mixed together.
- Finally, add the liquid from the vitamin E capsule to the mixture and stir again.
- Pour the preparation into containers, place the lids on when cold and allow them to stand for about 12 hours so that they solidify.
Now that you have made your homemade lip balm, apply it onto your lips several times a day so they do not become dehydrated. You only have to take a small amount of the product on your fingertip and spread it across the skin on your lips with little dabs. Apply it until you see that the product has been completely absorbed and hey presto! Your lips will be completely protected and you'll notice how quickly their original softness is restored.
As well as hydrating your lips, there are other measures for lip care that you should consider to keep your lips in perfect condition and free from dry, dead skin, cracks and cuts, etc.:
- Exfoliate your lips once a week to remove a build-up of dead cells. If you want to also prepare your own lotions, check out our article on how to make a lip scrub.
- Stay well hydrated by drinking at least 1.5 to 2 litres of water per day.
- Avoid biting or licking your lips frequently.
- Use high quality lipsticks and glosses with moisturising ingredients.
- Eat a greater amount of foods rich in antioxidants, vitamin C and E, as these are great for keeping the skin on your lips in good condition.
If you'd like to read similar articles to How to Make a Honey Lip Balm at Home, we recommend you browse around our Beauty & Personal Care category.