How To Lose Face Fat From Your Cheeks
Even if you have recently lost weight, reducing fat from your face can still be difficult. This is possibly because you have naturally chubby cheeks or a double chin inherited from your family. Overall health and losing weight in general is the best way to lose fat from your face and cheeks. Sometimes, we may not seem to be putting weight on anywhere else on our body, yet our face is becoming puffy or we are looking bigger than actuality. If this is the case, you may be wanting to know how to lose face fat from your cheeks. Before doing so, we need to ensure the fat in your face isn't simply puffiness or some other reason for bloating. oneHOWTO takes a holistic approach to reducing facial fat and making sure you look good all over.
Reasons for increased fat in your face
There are different reasons you might have a rounder or more bloated face than usual. There are different reasons, this may be the case and most of the ones we detail here are relatively rare. Others have to do with genetics which it may not be too helpful to worry yourself over. Here we look at some reasons you may have a more bloated or puffy face than usual:
- You have had a lifestyle change: maybe you have been working later and had to skip those gym sessions a few more times than usual. Maybe you have been indulging your urges a little more when it comes to certain food. You may have even undergone some lifestyle changes and not really noticed it. If this is the case, it might lead to you becoming a little fatter in the face than you are used to.
- You have not been getting enough sleep: maybe the reason you have been missing the gym because you haven't had the energy to exercise. We can get in a bad cycle when it comes to lack of sleep. We need to drink more coffee to feel energy (or, worse, energy drinks) or feel more hunger due to dipping energy levels. Insufficient sleep can also lead our bodies to release more ghrelin, the hormone which affects hunger.
- You have a hormone imbalance: it is not just a lack of sleep which can affect our hormones and lead to puffy cheeks. Cushing's syndrome is a set of symptoms related to increase of the hormone cortisol, this can lead to more fat in your face and cheeks.
- Moon facies: a condition whereby the fat on your face and cheeks is increased, sometimes caused by a hormonal imbalance, but also related to obesity.
- Infection: if you have a particularly bad sinus infection or even a bad tooth infection, then this may lead to facial bloating or puffiness in the cheeks. It is likely, however, if you have an infection, the other symptoms, including pain, will be more of a concern than cosmetic issues.
- Allergic reaction: you may not feel any particular pain or even feel any different, but an allergic reaction might be causing your skin to puff up, making it look like fat is causing the problem rather than the actual cause. If your face is causing a double chin or chubby cheeks, then you need to find the cause. This may be due to make up, your bed sheets or even being round a beloved pet. Allergies can develop at different stages of life, so you may need to see a dermatologist.
- Stress: possibly related to lack of sleep, stress can lead to a haggard look. It may seem that your face has more fat, but it could equally be bags under the eyes which make your cheeks look bigger. This could also be related to your body's production or elastin or collagen.
If you want to make your face look slimmer, then you have to address the reason behind a larger face. If it is a genetic cause or a symptom of an underlying condition, you will need to speak to a physician to understand the right diagnosis and line of treatment.
However, as an increase in facial fat is usually caused by lifestyle issues, it is also important to work on your overall health. It is not as simple as eating foods which are low in fat, but having a comprehensive approach. Losing weight and working off calories in a healthy way are the start to losing the weight in your face. Here are the essentials to begin with.
- Eat 5 times a day to speed up your metabolism and reduce your hunger by the time you get to main meals.
- Carbs are fine but should always be consumed early in the day. Only enjoy those that are accompanied by healthy proteins that are low in fat.
- Opt for healthy snacks and snacks that consist essentially of seasonal fruit or low-fat dairy. These will fill you up and are low in calories.
- Light dinners which consist of a combination of cooked vegetables and low-fat protein.
- The protein you eat should be low in fat, sticking to lean meats, fish and egg whites without the yolk.
- Drink 2 litres of water a day to cleanse the body and eliminate fluid retention.
- Reduce alcohol intake. Alcoholic beverages are, in general, empty calories, i.e. those which do not add any nutrients to the body.
It may sound general that reducing fat on your face is governed by diet and exercise. However, this being a generality doesn't make it any less true. If you are wanting to slim down, exercise is necessary. If you want to slim down on the face, then choosing the right kind of exercise is necessary. Incorporate into your daily routine activities which help you lose calories that can accumulate as saturated fat. It is recommended that you exercise at least 3 times a week and do a combination of:
- Cardio: these aerobics burn calories and activate circulation (running, bike, elliptical, etc.)
- Toning exercises: Used to strengthen the muscles and smooth the skin (weights, abdominal machines, etc.)
The best routine is one that combines both these exercises with an increased cardiovascular focus. This helps you stay in shape and improve your stamina so that your organs and muscles work together. If in doubt, check our article the best times to go to the gym if you want to know how to fit this into your own routine.
While general exercise is going to have an effect on your facial fat, some people may still feel their chubby cheeks remain despite being thinner elsewhere. While you will have to acknowledge genetic causes which may just be a healthy trait of your appearance, you can also try some facial exercises to localize the toning of your skin to make it look smoother, suppler and wrinkle-free.
- Puff up your cheeks with air, breathe deeply and hold it for 5 seconds with your cheeks inflated. Release and inhale again then hold for another 5 seconds. Repeat this process 10 times and do this every day. Soon you will hopefully notice your facial skin is smoother.
- Another exercise for the face is smiling. While you stretch out your lips, hold it for 10 seconds and repeat 5 times a day.
- You can also inflate the cheeks with air and move this from one side of the mouth to the other to have smoother skin. Repeat this 10 times and do it every day for the best results.
- For firm skin you can also try sucking in your cheeks and holding this for 5 seconds and repeating this 10 times.
Finally, you may want to think of some other ways to help you lose weight in the face other than diet and exercise. To lose face fat, facial creams can also help because they have properties that firm and tone the skin. Bear in mind that these creams can't perform miracles. If you do not combine them with healthy habits they won't help you at all. However, if you follow the above guidelines and you apply creams every day, this can help make your face skin smoother. You should consider it a complement to your daily care.
The last resort to help you reduce face fat is going in for medical or cosmetic centres and frequently getting harsh facials. These are often drastic and expensive procedures which may be permanent. While they might reduce fat on the face, then can also change your appearance to an unnatural one. The decision to have cosmetic surgery is never one to be taken lightly. It is also important to realize the difference in wanting to slim down and not realizing you don't have a problem in the first place.
One reason you may see a fuller face with chubby cheeks in the mirror is because you aren't seeing an accurate representation of yourself. Conditions like body dismorphia or simply having low self-esteem can make us feel fatter, whether or not we actually are. Treating this underlying condition will be the best way to deal with a larger face.
If you want to read similar articles to How To Lose Face Fat From Your Cheeks, we recommend you visit our Weight & image category.