How to Get Rid of a Female Mustache or Upper Lip Shadow - 5 methods
Many women have a dark shadow on their upper lip. This skin blemish may appear only temporarily or be a constant facial feature. The sun, hormonal changes or pregnancy can be the cause of a mustache shadow and there are different methods to help them disappear.
At oneHOWTO we'll tell you how to get rid of a female mustache and say goodbye, once and for all, to that detested shadow.
- The reason for your moustache shadows
- The causes of moustache shadows
- Method 1: Get rid of moustache shadows with lemon
- Method 2: Try intense pulsed light (IPL) therapy
- Method 3: A homemade mask of hydrogen peroxide to help with these spots
- Method 4: Remove moustache shadows with Amelan
- Method 5: A homemade mask for sensitive skin
- Emergency remedies and prevention
The reason for your moustache shadows
It's called melasma and appears due many different factors, such as the delicateness of this part of the face. If you regularly pluck or wax, it's even more sensitive. Mustache shadows are one of the most difficult spots to remove and tend to be recurring. However, there are professional treatments and home remedies, that when used regularly, will help clear them up.
To prevent mustache shadows, it's recommended to apply sunscreen daily, with SPF 50. Apply it a half an hour before being exposed to sunlight, in the summer and as well as during the winter. For more detailed information, take a look at how to protect your skin from the Sun.
The causes of moustache shadows
The causes of mustache shadows often result from bad habits such as overexposure to the sun or routines that change your hormonal balance.
Next, at oneHOWTO we'll explain the most common causes of a dark shadow on the upper lip.
- One reason is due to plucking or waxing, without applying sunscreen. After waxing, the area is extremely sensitive, and therefore, it's recommended that you use SPF 50 or more.
- Another reason for mustache shadows is aggressive waxing, if this is your case, there are methods to get rid of the wax mark.
- If you take oral contraceptives, it also may be causing your skin to be more sensitive to sunlight.
- Hormonal disorders produced during puberty, pregnancy or menopause can also produce skin blemishes.
- Using tanning and cosmetic creams containing tar derivatives can also be a cause of mustache shadows.
Method 1: Get rid of moustache shadows with lemon
If you'd like to learn how to remove mustache shadows, then you should use lemon because it's a very effective natural lightening remedy. To lighten the skin and work to remove that bothersome spot, follow these steps:
- 1 lemon
- 1/2 glass water
- Dilute a lemon in half a glass of water and apply every night on the upper lip.
- Leave it on while you sleep and the next morning.
- Wash your face well with water and then apply your regular moisturizer.
To get rid of mustache shadows, it's essential to be consistent and do this routine every night.
Method 2: Try intense pulsed light (IPL) therapy
If you want to remove moustache shadows, you can go to your regular cosmetic healthcare clinic and try an IPL treatment (Intense Pulsed Light). It's one of the most effective methods for getting rid of skin blemishes and destroys the melanin without damaging the skin, using a method that's painless and doesn't cause any side effects.
Melanin is the natural pigment in our skin and is a hormone that causes the appearance of spots. If you eliminate this hormone, it will lighten the blemish until it disappears.
Method 3: A homemade mask of hydrogen peroxide to help with these spots
Another method for how to remove mustache shadows is to make homemade masks. This time, we'll use hydrogen peroxide which is suitable for mustache shadows.
- 10 g milk powder (0.35oz)
- 20 drops of hydrogen peroxide
- 2 drops of glycerin
- To prepare the mask, mix all of the ingredients in a bowl until a paste forms
- When it's ready, apply it to your mustache with a cotton swab.
- Leave the mask on for 5 minutes and then rinse with plenty of water.
If you repeat this treatment every day, you'll succeed in lightening the skin blemish.
Method 4: Remove moustache shadows with Amelan
Amelan is a dermatological treatment that causes the skin to flake and therefore produces skin regeneration.
It's a treatment that must be prescribed by a specialist and consists of applying an Amelan mask to the mustache and leaving it on for 30 minutes. This must be repeated for 6 sessions to depigment mustache shadows and produce good results.
Method 5: A homemade mask for sensitive skin
If you have sensitive skin and you want to use a homemade mask to get rid of moustache shadows, follow this recipe with cucumber.
- 3 slices of cucumber
- 5 ml of apple cider vinegar
- 5 ml of rose water
- To make this home remedy for blemishes, crush the cucumber slices until you have a paste.
- Put it in a colander and squeeze out all of the juice of the crushed cucumber.
- Add 5 ml of apple cider vinegar and 5 ml of rose water.
- Mix all of the ingredients together.
- To apply the mask, use a cotton swab and put the paste over your mustache, letting the skin absorb the mask overnight.
- The next morning, wash it well with water and apply sunscreen.
Repeat this every night and in a period of two weeks, you'll see how the mustache shadow becomes lighter.
Emergency remedies and prevention
If you are in a hurry and want to get rid of the unsightly stain, you can learn how to cover upper lip shadows with makeup too.
It's important to exfoliate once a week in order to avoid this from happening again, as well as knowing about other methods to get rid of a female mustache that will not leave an upper lip shadow. Take a look at some tips on how to lighten a female mustache or how to bleach a female mustache naturally.
If you'd like to read similar articles to How to Get Rid of a Female Mustache or Upper Lip Shadow - 5 methods, we recommend you browse around our Beauty & Personal Care category.