How to Get Rid of a Female Mustache or Upper Lip Shadow - 5 methods
Are you experiencing upper lip discoloration on your mustache skin? Many women have a dark shadow on their upper lip, otherwise known as a mustache shadow. This skin blemish may appear temporarily or as a constant feature. Sun, hormonal changes or pregnancy can all cause the appearance of a mustache shadow above a woman’s lip. Luckily there are different methods to help get rid of this female mustache blemish.
Here oneHOWTO we'll be discussing how to get rid of a female mustache and/or how to lighten upper lip shadow. Therefore, if you have an upper lip shadow which you want to get rid of, this article is for you! Keep reading and discover how to lighten your upper lip with these effective tips.
- Dark skin on upper lip: looks like mustache
- Upper lip shadow: causes
- How to lighten upper lip hair with lemon
- Remove upper lip shadow with intense pulsed light (IPL) therapy
- How to get rid of upper lip shadow with hydrogen peroxide
- Remove female mustache shadows with Amelan
- How to lighten upper lip shadow with homemade mask
- Dark upper lip skin discoloration: prevention
Dark skin on upper lip: looks like mustache
So, what causes this upper lip shadow? Melasma is the main reason that women experience upper lip shadows. Melasma is caused by many different factors, including a sensitivity of this part of the face. If you pluck or wax your upper lip regularly, this skin area can become even more sensitive. Mustache shadows are one of the most difficult skin blemishes to remove and, in addition, tend to be recurring. Luckily, however, there are professional treatments and home remedies to remove upper lip shadows fast.
To prevent mustache shadows, many people recommended applying sunscreen daily, preferable with an SPF of 50. We recommend applying it a half an hour before being exposed to sunlight, both in summer and as well as during winter. For more detailed information, take a look at our article on how to protect your skin from the Sun.
Upper lip shadow: causes
The causes of mustache shadows are often a result of bad habits. Possible other reasons for female mustaches, include; overexposure to the sun or routines that change and/or affect your body’s hormonal balance.
Take a look at the most common causes of a dark shadows on the upper lip:
- Plucking or waxing, without applying sunscreen. After waxing or plucking your upper lip area, the area becomes extremely sensitive. Therefore, it is more susceptible to blemishes. After waxing or plucking your upper lip area, we recommend using SPF 50 on this area to protect your skin.
- Another reason for mustache shadows is aggressive waxing. For more, take a look at; methods to get rid of the wax mark.
- Oral contraceptives side effects; oral contraceptives may also may be cause your skin to become more sensitive to sunlight. For more, take a look at; Side Effects Of Contraceptive Pills.
- Hormonal disorders produced during puberty can result in an upper lip mustache for women. Pregnancy or menopause can also produce skin blemishes in women.
- Using tanning and cosmetic creams containing tar derivatives can also be a cause of mustache shadows on your upper lip.
Keep reading and discover our dark skin on upper lip home remedies.
How to lighten upper lip hair with lemon
If you'd like to learn how to remove mustache shadows, we recommend opting for lemon which is a very effective natural lightening remedy! To lighten your upper lip skin and work to remove facial blemishes, follow these steps:
- 1 lemon
- 1/2 glass water
- Dilute a lemon in half a glass of water and apply every night on the upper lip.
- Leave it on while you sleep and the next morning.
- Wash your face well with water and then apply your regular moisturizer.
To get rid of mustache shadows, it's essential to be consistent and do this routine every night.
Remove upper lip shadow with intense pulsed light (IPL) therapy
If you want to remove mustache shadows, you can go to your regular cosmetic healthcare clinic and try an IPL treatment (Intense Pulsed Light). It's one of the most effective methods for getting rid of skin blemishes and destroys melanin without damaging the skin. This method is painless and doesn't cause any side effects.
Melanin is the natural pigment in ski, it is also a hormone that can cause the appearance of spots. If you eliminate this hormone from your skin, it will lighten the upper lip blemish until it disappears.
How to get rid of upper lip shadow with hydrogen peroxide
Another method for how to get rid of dark skin above upper lip, is by making your own homemade mask. This time, we suggest using use hydrogen peroxide, which is known to help remove mustache shadows.
- 10 g milk powder (0.35oz)
- 20 drops of hydrogen peroxide
- 2 drops of glycerin
- To prepare the mask, mix all of the ingredients in a bowl until a paste forms
- When it's ready, apply it to your mustache with a cotton swab.
- Leave the mask on for 5 minutes and then rinse with plenty of water.
If you repeat this treatment every day, you'll succeed in lightening the skin blemish on your upper lip.
Remove female mustache shadows with Amelan
Amelan is a dermatological treatment that causes the skin to flake, producing skin regeneration.
This is a treatment that is only prescribed by a specialist. Amelan consists of applying an Amelan mask to the mustache and leaving it on your upper lip skin for 30 minutes. This treatment must be repeated for at least 6 sessions to depigment mustache shadows and produce good results.
How to lighten upper lip shadow with homemade mask
If you have sensitive skin and you want to use a homemade mask to get rid of mustache shadows, follow this cucumber mask recipe.
- 3 slices of cucumber
- 5 ml of apple cider vinegar
- 5 ml of rose water
- To make this home remedy for blemishes, crush the cucumber slices until you have a paste.
- Put it in a colander and squeeze out all of the juice of the crushed cucumber.
- Add 5 ml of apple cider vinegar and 5 ml of rose water.
- Mix all of the ingredients together.
- To apply the mask, use a cotton swab and put the paste over your mustache, letting the skin absorb the mask overnight.
- The next morning, wash it well with water and apply sunscreen.
Repeat this every night for a period of two weeks. You'll soon see how your mustache shadow becoming lighter.
Dark upper lip skin discoloration: prevention
If you are in a hurry and want to get rid of a mustaches shadow immediately, take a look at: how to cover upper lip shadows with makeup.
We also suggest exfoliating this area once a week in order to avoid this blemish from appearing again. Also, find out how to get rid of a female mustache without leaving an upper lip shadow. To help you avoid upper lip shadows, take a look at;
If you want to read similar articles to How to Get Rid of a Female Mustache or Upper Lip Shadow - 5 methods, we recommend you visit our Beauty & Personal Care category.