What Is My Face Shape?
Each and every person has one of the six principle face shapes. The six main face shapes include; oval, diamond, heart, oblong, square or round. Knowing your face shape can be very helpful when determining what haircut you should get, which pair of glasses you should wear and how to apply makeup. If for example, you choose to opt for plastic surgery, a surgeon will always determine your face shape in order to contour it accordingly.
A lot of people find it quite difficult to judge their face shape by simply looking in the mirror. Therefore, here at OneHOWTO we have decided to give you complete instruction answering your question of: what is my face shape?
Understanding basic face shapes
Here are a few basic facts you need to consider when understanding face shapes;
- Heart shape: Also known as ‘inverted triangle’, this face is wider at the forehead, narrower at the jawline, and carries a pointy chin. Celebrities like Rachel Bilson, Jennifer Lopez and Katie Holmes have heart shaped faces.
- Square shape: If your jawline, cheekbones and forehead are almost the same size, then you have a square shaped face. Many celebrities like Angelina Jolie, Demi Moore and Isabella Rossellini have square faces. Luckily, square faces photograph very well and flaunt most hairstyles with perfection.
- Round shape: A round shaped face is soft with fuller cheeks and non-angular features. If the width of your jaw, cheekbones and forehead are equal and if you have a rounded jawline, then you have a round face. Generally, people with round faces have softer features. Celebrities with round faces include Oprah Winfrey, Michelle Williams and Cameron Diaz.
- Diamond shape: This face is widest at its cheekbones, with a similar length forehead and jawline which are narrower than the cheeks.
- Long face: This face is longer than it is wide. Celebrities with long faces include Liv Tyler, Sarah Jessica Parker and Ashlee Simpson.
- Oval face: An oval face shape has length almost 1 ½ times its width. It is one of the most versatile face shapes and carries almost all hairstyles with grace. Celebrities with oval faces include Jessica Alba and Kate Hudson.
Step by step instructions to find your face shape
Method #1 to assess face shape
This is the simplest way of assessing your face shape. Follow these steps:
- Take a face on photograph with your hair out of your face.
- Print the photo onto a flat piece of paper.
- Lay the printed photo on a flat surface.
- Place dots at the bottom, top and sides of your face on the photograph.
- Trace to make lines between the dots and see what shape it makes.
- If the shape is longer than the width, then you have an oval shaped face.
- If you have a wider forehead than your jawline and a pointed chin, then you have a heart shaped face.
- If you have a tapered hairline, then you have a diamond shaped face.
- If your face is as wide as it is long and if the width of your jawline and forehead are almost the same, then you have a square shaped face.
- If you have a rounded jawline, then you have a round shaped face.
Method #2 to assess face shape
Another method of assessing your face shape is by taking measurements of your contours. You will need a soft fabric tape to take these measurements. Follow these steps:
- Stand in front of a mirror and make sure that the room is well lit.
- To measure your forehead, pull the tape from the top of your left eyebrow to the top of your right eyebrow.
- To measure your cheekbones, pull the tape from your left upper cheek to your right upper cheek, right at the bumpy points below the outer corners of your eyes.
- To measure your jawline, pull the tape across your face at the points just below your ears.
- To measure the length of your face, pull the tape from the tip of your chin to the center of your hairline.
Write down all of these four measurements on a paper. Find which one is the longest, and refer to the below information to find your face shape:
- If the measurements of your face length and cheekbones are similar and bigger than the measurement of your jawline and forehead, then you have a round face shape.
- If all the measurements are almost similar, then you have a square face shape.
- If the measurements of your cheekbones, jawline and forehead are similar and the length of your face is your biggest figure, then you have an oblong face shape.
- If your face length is the longest, followed by cheekbones, forehead and then jawline, with a pointed chin, then you have a diamond face shape.
- If you have a big jawline, followed by small cheekbones and even small forehead, then you have a triangular face shape.
- If the length of your face is bigger than the measurement of your cheekbones, and if your forehead is bigger than your jawline, then you have an oval face shape.
Method #3 to assess face shape
Apart from the traditional methods of measuring and assessing your face shape as mentioned above, there are several software programs that are designed to help you find it. Some of them are available for free online, while you have to pay for others which need to be installed. To use these programs, you have to upload a front facing image of your face and the program will assess your face shape within seconds. Some programs even allow you to try different hair styles and glasses digitally. This allows you to find a hairstyle that might help you find out beforehand which suits you best.
How to take advantage of your face shape
Once you know what the shape of your face is, you can use it to your advantage, for example:
- Hair length: You need to choose the right hair length that best suits the shape of your face . The look of your face is largely affected by how long or short your hair is. Choose a hair length that can balance out your facial dimensions. Straight and long hair is perfect for square and round faces, as it complements the face by adding length to it and minimizing its width. Short hair cuts like a pixie cut can make your short face longer and draw attention to your cheekbones and eyes. Medium to short hair makes a long face look shorter and fuller. This hair length is perfect for oblong and oval faces.
- Hair style:Style your hair to suit your face shape. You should keep your face shape in mind while determining which bangs will look best. You can soften a square face by having long, wavy bangs that can frame your forehead in an A-shape. Side-swept bangs look great on many face shapes, including: heart, oval, oblong and round. Long, straight, blunt hair can minimize the length of your face and increase the width of your forehead.
- Glasses: If you have an oval face, pick a glasses frame that has the same width of your face. People with heart-shape faces should choose rimless or light colored frames to minimize the breadth of their face. Long, oblong and rectangular faced people should choose a wide frame with lower bridges. If you have a triangular face with narrow top, then pick a frame that has a wider top, like cat eyes. A diamond face can be softened by wearing an oval frame.
If you want to read similar articles to What Is My Face Shape?, we recommend you visit our Beauty & Personal Care category.