How to Whiten the Underarms with Baking Soda
Baking soda is one of the most versatile products that you have around the house, and can be used for household cleaning as well as for stain removal or eliminating dandruff. Its cosmetic uses are varied, and one of the benefits is its ability to lighten areas of skin that have a tendency to darken, such as the armpits. Want to get rid of dark underarm spots forever? Read on about how to whiten the underarms with baking soda effectively.
Reasons for dark armpits
Believe it or not, but the armpits are one of the most sensitive parts of the skin in the whole body, which explains why shaving them is inappropriate, since it'll eventually cause irritation and discomfort in this area.
A common alternative to remove armpit hair is with a razor, which eventually produces an unsightly shadow in the area, even when you've recently just shaved.
Baking soda and lemon
This condition can make you feel embarrassed to wear clothes that expose the area, because it appears that you didn't shave properly. However, there's a simple homemade solution, using baking soda to whiten the armpits and thus improving their appearance.
This ingredient, along with another equally powerful one, is to use lemon, helping you to get the best results. Baking soda and lemon can also help you whiten your teeth, discover how to use them.
The method: Use baking soda and lemon
Using baking soda to lighten the armpits is a very simple and effective process. To make it, follow the instructions.
- 10 grams of baking soda
- The juice of half a lemon
- Mix both ingredients into a thick paste.
- Thoroughly clean your armpits with soap and water to remove any traces of deodorant
- Then dry them and apply the paste evenly to both armpits.
- Leave on for 10 minutes and then remove with warm water and mild soap.
It's recommended to repeat the process every day for at least two weeks or until the skin has lightened.
Use a scrub
Besides using baking soda, it's recommended that you exfoliate the underarm area once or twice a week in order to remove dead skin cells that accumulate in the area, improving skin tone and appearance. It's important that you do this with a facial scrub with a fine grain that'll be much gentler on your skin, and exfoliate it without causing irritation. Using a pumice stone can also help get rid of dark underarms, though it should be used with care so your armpits don't irritate.
Alternative to lighten armpit skin
Another way to whiten underarms with baking soda is to use other ingredients that will not only help lighten it but also keep your underarms properly moisturized at the same time too. In this case, we'll mix the powerful moisturizing effect of both coconut oil and shea butter too. Get three tbsp coconut oil and two tbsp shea butter and heat using the bain marie method. Add some cornstarch too (2 tbsp) and stir until your mixture is totally homogeneous.Once it's all smoothed out, remove from heat and let it cool.
Apply on your dark armpits with your skin and leave for five minutes. You'll notice a real difference!
Avoid dark underarms
In addition, you should also take into account some recommendations to avoid dark underarms and maintaining a natural skin tone:
- Avoid using a razor for shaving the armpits, because this creates a dark spot in the area. It's best is use hot waxing that will help to remove dead skin cells in the area.
- It's not recommended to use hair removal creams because they can stain this sensitive area.
- Wash your armpits daily with a moisturizer, since this area also requires care.
- Exfoliate the armpits at least once a week with a facial scrub, and you'll notice how the appearance and texture improve.
- Avoid continuous use of deodorant or antiperspirant and while you're at home, it's recommended that you let your armpits breathe without using either of these products.
And if you'd like more tips on how to prevent darkening in this area, we suggest you read our article how to lighten underarm skin, with homemade remedies to ensure success. A new and effective method is whitening the underarms with activated charcoal.
If you'd like to read similar articles to How to Whiten the Underarms with Baking Soda, we recommend you browse around our Beauty & Personal Care category.
- Use this remedy several times a day for maximum effect
- With time, the more you use this remedy the faster you'll see the results