How to Do Sweater Nails
One of the latest trends in nail art is 'Sweater nails' or 'jersey nails'. Do you already know what this new design is? It is ideal for showing off an original manicure adapted to winter days. Your nails acquire an effect similar to the fabrics, textures and shapes of knitted sweaters, so they resemble such items of clothing. If you want to know how to do this nail style and follow the latest fashion, don't miss this step by step OneHowTo article where you can learn how to do sweater nails.
Prepare your nails
The first step for creating this sweater effect nail art design is to prepare your nails so they are perfect and the finish is flawless and long-lasting. It is important that you remove the remnants of any previous varnish with a non-acetone nail varnish remover. Wash your hands with soap and water to remove any dirt and residue.
Once your nails are completely clean, you then need to create the desired shape. To do this, cut them with a nail clipper (never scissors) if necessary and use a good quality emery board to shape them. So this design fits and works better, your nails should preferably be kept long, because if they are too short, it will be very difficult to create a sweater look.
As well as these steps, pay attention to the cuticles of your nails. It is important for you to push them back with the help of an orange stick and remove any excess skin with cuticle clippers. If you use oil to soften the cuticles beforehand, this will help with the task. If you do not know how to do this, we suggest you follow the steps in our article on how to remove nail cuticles.
Materials needed for 'sweater nails'
Now it's time to start creating your sweater nails so you can show off a super original design that's ideal for those winter days when you cherish wearing a nice sweater. To mimic sweater fabrics on your nails, first gather together the following materials:
- Gel varnish or gel lacquer in the colour you want, but preferably choose the same tones as your sweaters, so you show off a matching manicure. They can be white, pink, burgundy, grey, brown, beige, dark green, navy blue, etc. You should use a permanent enamel, because you can't create this nail design with conventional varnish.
- Fine brush to create raised patterns on the nails.
- UV lamp to dry the gel varnish
- Enamel top coat or clear nail polish to extend the life of your nail design and keep a perfect manicure for longer.
Steps to create 'sweater nails' or 'jersey nails'
Once you have all the necessary materials to do this trendy nails that look very similar to the texture of knitted sweaters, closely follow the steps detailed below:
- Apply a coat of clear polish or base top coat on your nails to prevent them from weakening too much.
- Give your nails some colour by applying a first layer of your chosen gel polish.
- Place your nails under the UV lamp to dry.
- Once they are completely dry, apply a second layer of gel polish and dry them again under the UV lamp.
- Now, you need to create the sweater effect on your nails with the same gel polish. To do this, pour some enamel onto a piece of plastic and take a small amount of product onto a fine brush. You just have to draw lines, dots or any designs you want to create a sweater effect on your nails. You can try many designs. You just have to be inspired by the designs or plaits on your winter sweaters.
- Place your nails under the drying lamp for a final time and wait as long as is necessary for the design to stay.
- Finally, you just have to seal the design with a coat of clear polish or top coat. This will help your nails remain intact for longer.
Different designs for 'sweater nails'
There are many designs that you can do to simulate the fabric of sweaters on your nails and join in this revolutionary nail art trend. From discreet manicures in just one color, to others which combine different colors and patterns. It's a matter of taste and creativity. Always look for a design that reflects the characteristic texture of winter knitted sweaters or even create a Christmas sweater design.
Take a look at the images shown below and be inspired by the 'Sweater nail' designs that you like.
If you want to read similar articles to How to Do Sweater Nails, we recommend you visit our Beauty & Personal Care category.