What Is Green Concealer Used For?
When we see models and actors with the perfect complexion on TV and in magazines, it's important to remember they have help. More often than not, the help is makeup. We can often tell the time period of an image or video from the makeup the person is wearing. This is because the artistry of makeup is ever-evolving. Not only does the makeup industry experience various trends, but the products and techniques used can change. This is the case with green concealer.
If you have heard of green concealer, you may think it is an odd color for makeup. This is why oneHOWTO explains what green concealer is used for and how to apply green concealer for your skin.
What is green concealer?
Concealer is a type of makeup with a specific purpose. If you have a pimple, some redness or other marks on your face, concealer helps to cover them up. This is done by blending the makeup with the tones of the face. When we think of concealer, we usually think of the varying skin tones we may have. Green isn't usually one of them.
However, green concealer is actually a very helpful product in covering up marks and blemishes on the face. Although our skin isn't green, when we add shades of green to our makeup, it can help give us the right tone necessary for our skin type.
Green concealer has been used for a number of years and is becoming more popular thanks to professional makeup artists swearing by it. Green is the opposite of red in the chromatic range. Since red is the tone that predominates with spots, blemishes and other skin problems you may have on your face, green concealer helps to balance out the skin tones. By adding green to red, the concealer neutralizes the color and you end up hiding the pimple, mark, scar or whatever it is you want to hide.
Green concealer is not the only option for covering up spots. Take a look at our article on how to cover up spots with makeup to know more.
How to apply green concealer
Now we know the theory behind green concealer, we can see how to use it in practice. Since our skin is unlikely to be green, we should know that using this concealer requires blending with other colors. Green concealer is usually sold as either a makeup stick or a powder, both of which lend themselves well to blending color.
If you want to learn the basics before you use green concealer, you can take a look at our article on how to use concealer in general.
The application of green concealer is very simple. It can be easily incorporated into your general makeup routine and be used to conceal pimples, blemishes or other reddish marks. Here is how to apply green concealer:
- Wash your skin and keep it hydrated to better identify the imperfections you want to cover.
- Use the green concealer to apply a thin layer to the areas where you have redness or marks.
- Leave it on for a few minutes to dry. Prevent it from moving or sliding with the rest of your makeup. Only use as much as is required to cover up the redness.
- Apply your usual makeup base to unify the entire face.
- At the end, apply your regular setting powder.
The important thing to remember when applying green concealer is that a little goes a long way. This is especially the case if you have light skin. Applying too much green concealer can work for red marks, but if you use it on light skin it can give you a sickly feeling. Not only will using too much green concealer give your face a green tint, it is a heavy makeup and can close your pores, making it harder for your skin to breathe.
If you have red skin regularly, it is possible you have rosacea. Check this article on how to cover up red skin caused by rosacea.
Other types of makeup concealer
As you can see, green concealer can become one of our greatest allies against red marks on the skin. However, since the world of fashion and makeup art advances so quickly, you can find a type of concealer adapted to each type of need. Here is a list of the most common and effective types of concealer you may want to use:
- Purple or lilac concealer: the lilac color, depending on the chromatic range, can be perfect for covering brown imperfections such as sun spots or some types of scar. This will also depend on your own skin type and may be better for darker skin.
- Blue concealer: the blue color is ideal for hiding marks with a more orange tone, such as freckles or sunspots.
- Yellow concealer: this shade of concealer, on the other hand, is intended for marks of a purple color, so it would be ideal to hide some type of bruise or bluish dark circles. It is especially good with vascular blemishes.
- Orange concealer: combined with our usual base, it is the perfect color to cover and hide dark circles, since it is capable of neutralizing the bluest tones that come with the bags under our eyes.
All of the different concealer colors are applied with the same technique that we have seen in the green concealer. As you will see, these different color concealers will work for different marks and blemishes, but it will also work with different skin types and colors. To know more, take a look at our article on how to choose the right foundation for your specific skin type.
If you want to read similar articles to What Is Green Concealer Used For?, we recommend you visit our Beauty & Personal Care category.