How to Make Homemade Hair Masks for Dry Hair
There are numerous products and treatments around that are specifically for dry hair, but they're often too expensive. However, you can show off shiny, healthy hair with natural remedies; learn to make your own homemade masks for dry hair based on natural products and get all their benefits without using chemicals!
In this oneHOWTO article we'll show you how to make homemade hair masks for dry hair with ingredients you already have in your kitchen. Apply these natural masks on a regular basis and continue to use the best shampoo for your hair type. You'll notice how your hair looks shinier, silkier, and more vital. Read on!
Homemade egg and honey hair mask
This homemade hair mask for dry hair will give your hair the hydration it needs so that it stops being dry and damaged and regains its original beauty and softness.
Honey is the perfect natural remedy to restore your hair's health, as it helps to deeply cleanse it whilst eliminating any external elements that may damage it. It also nourishes the hair fibers thanks to its numerous nutrients, and adds extra softness to the hair. This hair mask also contains egg proteins that nourish the hair and make it stronger and fuller.
This is how to make a homemade egg and honey hair mask for dry hair:
- Mix 1 egg with 2 tablespoons of honey and stir both ingredients together until blended.
- Moisten your hair with a little water or with a water spray.
- Apply the mask that you have prepared with a hair brush or with your hands. Aim to spread the paste properly from root to tip, using circular movements to massage your scalp and activate the blood flow. This ensures you fully benefit from the properties of both ingredients and that they penetrate into your scalp.
- Tuck your hair in a bun or a shower cap and leave it to act for 30 minutes.
- Then, rinse with warm water and wash your hair as normal.
- Repeat this treatment once a week so your hair is shinier and well hydrated in no time.
There is a variation of this egg-based hair mask that uses olive oil and mayonnaise to substitute the honey. Simply use a teaspoon oil and two tablespoons mayonnaise instead, and apply it like the other one.
Homemade avocado hair mask
One of the best foods to fight dry hair is avocado, a fruit that is full of nutrients that can help improve the health of your hair. Avocado will help you get back shine and softness because it is rich in vitamin E and proteins, which regenerate the hair.
To make this moisturizing hair maskyou'll need a ripe avocado, because they are easier to work with.
- With a small spoon, extract the pulp inside the avocado and mash it well until you achieve a smooth texture.
- Once done, add 2 tablespoons of mayonnaise which will add softness to your hair. Mix it all to achieve a smooth, uniform paste and set aside.
- This mask must be applied to wet hair. Wet your hair under running water and dry it with a towel. If you prefer, you can use a water spray.
- Once you've dampened your hair, apply the homemade hair mask to your hair from root to tip, ensuring you distribute it well through your hair.
- Now, massage your head so that the nutrients in the avocado penetrate through your scalp.
- Once done, wrap your hair with a towel or cover it with a shower cap to ensure that the properties are absorbed better.
- Leave it to act for 30 minutes and then rinse your hair with warm water. Never use hot water, because this dries your hair out.
- Repeat this procedure once a week and, before long, you'll notice how your hair is more shiny, silky and smooth.
You can also substitute the mayonnaise with some olive oil and an egg yolk. Blend well and apply as usual. The following link provides more details about how to make an avocado hair mask.
Homemade banana and honey hair mask
Another of the best homemade hair masks for dry hair is made with banana and honey. Check out the detailed step-by-step guide on how to make banana and honey hair masks.
Homemade yogurt hair mask
To make this mask for dry hair, you will need an egg white and six tablespoons of plain yogurt.
- Beat the egg whites until stiff.
- Fold into the yogurt.
- Apply the mask to your hair and leave on for 15-30 minutes.
- Rinse off and wash your hair.
Homemade almond oil hair mask
Almond oil is another natural product you can use to make homemade masks for dry hair. Put a little of the almond oil in a microwaveable container and heat it in the microwave for a few seconds. Next, simply apply it to your hair, paying special attention to the tips. Leave it to work for around 20 minutes, then wash your hair as normal.
You can learn how to make almond oil at home to save money on this natural remedy.
Homemade aloe vera hair mask
Among the many benefits of aloe vera for hair, the most notable one is that it is a powerful natural moisturizer because it contains vitamins and minerals that help nourish hair fibers and regenerate the health of your hair. Moreover, it is a plant with regenerative properties that help repair the damage suffered by hair, similar to the effects of keratin.
For these reasons, aloe vera is a perfect ingredient to hydrate your hair naturally and to repair damage caused by dye, hair dryers, hair straighteners, etc. To achieve smooth and soft hair, we suggest you make an aloe vera and olive oil mask. These two ingredients enhance hair hydration and achieve visible results from the first application.
- Mix 5 tablespoons of aloe vera juice and 2 teaspoons of olive oil until you have a smooth and uniform paste.
- Apply it onto your wet hair, coating all the hair strands well.
- Leave it on for 30 minutes then rinse with warm water and wash your hair as normal.
By repeating this process once a week, you'll revitalize the health of your hair, whilst adding shine and softness and achieving a beautiful appearance.
Homemade olive oil hair mask
Olive oil is a very common product, and luckily it can be used as a natural remedy to hydrate hair. It's so powerful, you only need a little oil to nourish your hair. This is because it contains moisturizing agents as well as a large amount of vitamins and minerals that nourish your hair and provide vitality and softness.
Whether you have dry or damp hair (it makes no difference), take a little olive oil on your hands, rub them together and start to distribute it throughout the hair without touching the roots as that can make the hair greasy. It is best to start about 2 cm below the hair root and distribute the oil through the rest of the hair to the tips.
The amount of oil used for this homemade mask will vary depending on the length of your hair. For example, if you have a mid-length bob, 1/4 cup will be enough; if you have long hair, you'll usually need more than half a cup of olive oil.
When you have applied all the oil to your hair, tie it up and cover it with a cap or a towel and leave it to act for 20 minutes. Wash it off with warm water and wash your hair as normal. Repeat this procedure once a week and you will notice how your hair is more moisturized, soft and silky over time.
Homemade papaya hair mask
Papaya is another of the best ingredients to make moisturizing hair masks. This fruit is rich in beta-carotene, a nutrient that helps to combat dry hair and repair damage over time. To start to prepare this beauty treatment you will need the following ingredients:
- 1 papaya
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- Peel the papaya, rinse it and cut it in half (you only need to use one half).
- Remove the black seeds from inside the fruit and chop the flesh with a knife.
- Then, put the flesh in a container suitable for a hand blender and before beating, add the honey and olive oil.
- Blend it until it creates a uniform mixture.
- Dampen your hair and then apply the paste you've prepared with the help of a hair brush or with your fingers. Pay attention to the tips, because the nutrients in papaya will repair them and make them healthier.
- Leave it on for 30 minutes and then wash it off with warm water.
- Repeat once a week and see how your hair is more hydrated over time.
If you suffer from split ends, check out our article on home remedies for split ends.
Besides making any of these homemade hair masks, it's important to care for your hair day by day. Here are some tips:
- Use a specific shampoo for dry hair with moisturizing properties.
- Apply a good conditioner after the shampoo.
- Do not abuse hair dryers, hair straighteners, curlers, etc.
- Avoid washing your hair with very hot water.
- Avoid dyes and decoloration on your hair for a while.
- Take a look at our article on home remedies for dry hair for more ideas.
If you want to read similar articles to How to Make Homemade Hair Masks for Dry Hair, we recommend you visit our Beauty & Personal Care category.