How to Get Rid of Dark Skin in Winter
There are effective home remedies to get rid of dark skin in winter: besan flour, lemon juice and aloe vera are some of the best. It is also important to cleanse and moisturize the skin frequently.
Skin darkening in winter is a very common problem for people with brown skin. There are several reasons why skin becomes dark in winter, the primary one being lack of moisture. What is worse is that dark skin in winter often appears as dark patches around the mouth, which can be quite annoying. You should not worry though because, as for dark scars, there are effective home made remedies to be used for dark skin in winter. In this oneHOWTO article we will explain why skin becomes dark in winter, we will tell you how to get rid of dark skin in winter and list home remedies for dark skin in winter. So, get ready to discover how to get rid of dark skin in winter.
Why skin becomes dark in winter
Skin gets dark in winter because of dryness, tanning, impurities, nutrition, blood circulation and hormonal fluctuations.
Let's see in more details why does skin get dark in winter.
- Dry skin: skin is dryer in winter, which means it regenerates less. Dead skin cells translate into lots of dark impurities deposited on our skin, which will make our face look dull and darker. Moisture is what makes the skin look bright and nourished, making it regain its original color. Dryness is definitely the number one reason why skin becomes dark in winter.
- Lack of protection: sometimes the sun can be quite strong in winter, but we ignore it as we think we only need protection in summer. Lack of sunblock can actually make you tan without even realising it.
- Sweat: because we sweat less in winter, impurities are harder to get rid of at this time of the year. Impurities are dark, making our skin look darker in winter.
- Nutrition: we tend to eat more oily and greasy food in winter, which can contribute to our skin looking darker.
- Blood circulation can change in winter and make our skin look darker.
- Hormonal fluctuation can be the result of temperature change.
Now that you know why does skin get dark in winter, it is easier to act and avoid dark skin in winter.
How to get rid of dark skin in winter
Based on the reasons why skin becomes dark in winter, we will reveal how to get rid of dark skin in winter with lifestyle changes.
- Cleanse your face twice a day to remove any impurities that make skin dark in winter.
- Wash your face after being outdoor as dust can accumulate on your face, making it look darker.
- Only use lukewarm water to wash your skin as hot water can increase skin darkening.
- Exfoliate your skin with water and salt once a week to remove impurities.
- Drink 2 litres of water a day to keep hydrated and eliminate toxins, which will result in bright beautiful skin.
- Exercise half an hour a day in order to sweat and get rid of dead skin cells.
- Eat lots of fruit and veggies and avoid oily food.
- Eat lots of vitamin C containing foods.
- Always apply sunscreen when you go out to avoid dark skin in winter.
Now that you know how to get rid of dark skin in winter with lifestyle changes, we can learn effective home remedies for dark skin in winter.
Home remedies for dark skin in winter
Here is a list of home remedies for dark skin in winter. They are all natural and non-harmful.
- Besan: make a thick paste with besan and milk. Add a teaspoon of turmeric powder for best results, but be sure to read how to get rid turmeric stains from skin. Apply the paste to your face, leave to dry and then remove with lukewarm water. Besan, milk and turmeric are 3 of the most powerful home remedies for dark skin in winter.
- Multani mitti or fuller's earth: we have covered the properties of fuller's earth for skin already, so you might know how beneficial it is. One of its many benefits is skin lightening. Mix it with rose water to form a paste, apply on face and leave on for 30 minutes before washing your face.
- Lemon juice is also a powerful whitening agent. You should be careful though, as it might make your skin even dryer. That is why we suggest applying a teaspoon of lemon juice on face mixed with coconut oil to get rid of dark skin in winter, while still keeping skin hydrated.
- Aloe vera: it is another home remedy for dark skin in winter. You can either rub a piece of aloe plant on your face, or apply an aloe vera gel.
- Orange peel: just rub it on skin for immediate skin lightening.
- Milk and turmeric is one of the best remedies to lighten skin.
- Applying rose water every day can also be an effective way of getting rid of impurities naturally.
As you can see, it is easy to get rid of dark skin in winter as there are so many home remedies for dark skin available.
If you'd like to read similar articles to How to Get Rid of Dark Skin in Winter, we recommend you browse around our Beauty & Personal Care category.