How to Choose a Haircut for Your Face Shape
Not all haircuts suit everyone and once you get the wrong haircut, fixing it can prove to be difficult. Haircuts are significantly determined by one’s face shape. There are six different types of face shapes, including: oval, diamond, heart, oblong, square and round.
Different haircuts suit different face shapes. If you want to make sure you receive the perfect haircut to suit you, here at OneHOWTO we will tell you how to choose a haircut for your face.
Choosing the right haircut for women
If you are not sure on what you face shape might be, take a look at our article on: what is my face shape? Once you have your face shape determined, here are some tips on the best haircut for your face shape:
- Haircut for a round face: A round face shape is vibrant and is healthy looking. However, If you wish to make your face appear less round and more lean, a haircut can do the trick. By wearing your hair a little wavy, straight and long, it serves as a perfect look for a round face. In addition, sweeping updos add height to your face by elongating it. But if you want to keep your hair short, we suggest opting for pixie cuts or long bobs, with lots of volume.
- Haircut for a square face: A woman is lucky if she has a square face, because this face shape looks great in photographs. The jaw and cheek angles in square faces prevents a photograph from looking flat. Side-swept bangs look great on square shaped faces. Keep your hair length flowing to your shoulders. This hairstyle will soften some of your stronger facial features.
- Haircut for an oblong face: Oblong faces appear lean. There are several hair styles that suit oblong faces. This face shape looks fantastic if you add some extra volume to the sides of your face. Therefore, opt for curls and waves. If you have a high hairline, consider adding some bangs to shorten your face and highlight your eyes. Your hair should not be too short or too long, shoulder-length hair is an ideal choice for an oblong shaped face. If you are keeping your hair short, try not add any volume on the top of your crown.
- For oval face: Almost all haircuts look good on an oval face, so you are free to follow any trend that you like. From shags to pixies, from short to long, you can choose any hair style that you want. However, make sure that the style you choose suits your personality, lifestyle and hair texture. If your oval face is too long, don’t add height on the crown of your head.
- Haircut for a heart-shaped face: This face shape has an amazing bone structure which is neither too soft nor too hard. A wide range of hairstyles look very good on a heart shaped face. Bangs complement this face shape pretty well, as well as long layers falling to the side. Both these hairstyles soften the lines of your face at just the perfect places. You may also consider trying a pixie.
- Haircut for a diamond-shaped face: If you have a diamond shaped face, you will need to choose a hairstyle that brings out the best of your narrow features. You need to balance out your narrow chin, shorten the length of your face and minimize your wide cheek bones. Your hairstyle should add width to your chin area, such as shoulder-length wispy kicked out look or chin-length bob cut. A style that you may tuck in behind your ears will work well in order to flaunt your amazing cheek bone structure.
Choosing the right haircut for men
Face shaped haircuts do not only apply to women, but to men too. Take a look at these face shape inspired haircuts for men:
- Haircut for an oval face: If you have an oval face shape, you are in the luck. Your face can be proportioned well and it may handle a wide range of hair lengths and styles. A quiff would work well, but you are free to try some modern cuts and longer lengths too. A voluminous pompadour or a longer shoulder length cut would look great too. You may even opt for a bald head if you like.
- Haircut for a square face: If you have a square face, you need to emphasize your strong jawline. Go for an undercut which will bring attention to your distinct features. A square face can complement different hair types, meaning you may experiment with a variety of styles and hair lengths. Focus on volume and fullness. A quiff would be great option for your face, or go for side parts to accentuate your features.
- Haircut for heart-shaped face: While choosing a haircut for your face shape, you should try to balance out your face’s top part with the bottom part. The idea is to make your hair proportionate to your facial features. Make sure that your chin does not appear too narrow. Ideal hair styles for a heart shaped face would be a dimensional quiff or textured fringe.
- Haircut for a diamond-shaped face: Side parts work very well for men with diamond shaped-faces. Textured and messy hair will look good on your facial features. An angular or textured fringe will balance out the wide proportions of your cheeks with that of your forehead.
- Haircut for a round face: A round face has equal width and length. You should add some definition to make your face look longer. Therefore, choose a haircut that is short on the sides and long on top. This will give the right balance to your round face. Ideal haircuts for a round face would be brush back, mid-life with pompadour, taper fade with quiff and undercut with comb over. If you have a round face, you need to create angles with your haircut. Round faces lack dimension and shape. Try a haircut that has longer proportions on the top and has shorter sides. A side parting will create more angles to a round face.
- Haircut for an oblong face: Also called rectangular face shape, this face has similar sized cheekbones, jawline and forehead. While choosing a haircut for this face shape, make sure that it is not very short at the sides, as it may add length to your already oblong face. Since your aim is to add width, go for scissor cuts and classic shapes. If you have straight hair, let it grow for about an inch and then add texture to it. If you have wavy hair, grow it to 4-5 inches and let it fall naturally. If you have tight and curly hair, keep it at a length of around 3 cm.
Tips to choose the right haircut
When you think about face shapes and haircuts, don’t feel overwhelmed with the rules. While these haircuts look good on certain face shapes, these are only suggestions. The secret lies in your attitude and you should never get a haircut in which you don’t feel like yourself. If you want to try something different, go for it! If you have the confidence and the right attitude, you can carry any hairstyle beautifully. If you want to get a specific haircut, then you can work with your stylist to make it suit your face shape.
If you want to read similar articles to How to Choose a Haircut for Your Face Shape, we recommend you visit our Beauty & Personal Care category.