How to Get Rid of Black Scars on Face
You can get rid of black scars on face by using home remedies such as lemon, baking soda and turmeric, by using over the counter topical creams including vitamin C serums and kojic acid, or you can visit a dermatologist to get microdermabrasion or laser therapy.
As you can see, there are ways to remove black scars on face. First of all, however, you need to understand the possible cause. We will help you do that by listing possible causes for black scars on face. Then, we will help you choose the right remedy for you among: black scar removal creams, home remedies for black scar on face, and medical solutions to remove black scars on face. Today, at oneHOWTO, you will learn everything you need to know about how to get rid of black scars on face.
Causes of black scars on face
Before we learn how to get rid of black scars on face, let's have a look at the possible causes.
- Sun damage: this is the number 1 cause of black scars on face as more and more people want to get tanned and are not careful, or ignore the consequences of irresponsible sun exposure. Staying in the sun without protection will make collagen break down and wrinkles and hyper-pigmentation appear. The dark scars caused by sun exposure can appear several years after exposure.
- Genetics: maybe black scars on face run in your family, so you are at greater risk of developing them.
- Dark skin: people with brown skin have more chances of having dark spots on face, while people with light skin can develop red spots.
- Hormone imbalance: during adolescence, pregnancy and menopause can cause melasma, or dark spots.
- Certain medications can also cause black scars on face.
- Vitamin deficiency and incorrect diet.
- Acne: acne can cause post-inflammatory hyperpigmentation which is temporary (it can last up to a few months), or they can cause permanent scars, aggravated by picking and squeezing pimples.
Let's now see the options available to get rid of black scars on face.
Home remedies for black scars on face
Do you want to know how to remove black scars from face naturally? You should definitely try these home remedies before progressing to the other options to remove black scars on face we explain later. If the home remedies for black scars on face work, you will save money, avoid doctor appointments and harmful chemicals. Check out how to remove black scars from face naturally:
- Lemon juice: its acidity makes it a lightening ingredient. You can apply a few drops of freshly squeezed lemon juice directly on the dark scar and leave it for a few minutes before washing out. Or you can mix it with honey and blended oats to make it milder. If you have sensitive skin, do a patch test first as lemon juice can burn.
- Aloe vera: another amazing remedy for black scars on face. Aloe vera evens out the skin color because of its antioxidant and anti-inflammatory properties. Aloe vera is especially effective for black scars caused by sunburns. Get an aloe vera leaf and squeeze the juice on your dark spots, or use an aloe vera gel twice a day for several weeks.
- Fuller's earth is a skin lightening agent. Make a paste with fuller's earth, water and a few drops of lemon juice and apply it on the marks. In another article we talk about how to use fuller's earth for face more in detail.
- Orange peels can do wonders for skin imperfections, because of their vitamin C content. Just rub orange peels on your black scars.
- Baking soda is a well know skin whitener.
- Papaya pulp is effective and very mild.
- Milk and yoghurt both help with skin problems.
- Cold potato or cucumber slices applied on the spots.
- Make a face mask with tomato juice and buttermilk. Leave on for 15 minutes before washing.
- Sandalwood whitens skin: make a paste with honey and ground almonds and leave on skin for 30 minutes.
- Turmeric is widely used to whiten skin, so it will help you get rid of black scars on face. Mix it with lemon or yoghurt to make a face mask.
- Onion and garlic in juice form can help as well.
- Tea tree oil can get rid of dark scars on face.
- Sugar cubes can be rubbed on the spots.
- Castor oil can be applied daily.
- Apple cider vinegar is especially effective to get rid of black scars on face caused by acne.
- The vitamin E and C contents in olive oil can help the skin regenerate.
- You can make a face mask by grinding some red lentils in milk and apply it to your face to get rid of black scars on face.
- Honey and rose water can always be added to the masks to help the skin look beautiful.
- Don't forget to use steam to get rid of dirt and bacteria. That will help regenerate the skin.
Try these home remedies for black scars on face. If they are not enough for you, go to the next step.
Black scars removal creams
There are over the counter black scars removal creams you can try if home remedies have not worked for you. Here we help you pick the best ones by revealng the best ingredients to remove black scars on face.
- Hydroquinone is one of the best ingredients for a black scars removal cream as it is a bleaching agent.
- Alpha hydroxyl acid.
- Beta hydroxyl acid.
- Retinoid will especially help in a topical treatment to get rid of black scars on face.
- Kojic acid also has bleaching properties.
- Salicylic acid is used both for acne treatment and to lighten black marks. It exfoliates the outer layer of the skin and promotes skin regeneration.
- Vitamin E both contained in black scars removal creams and capsules can remove black scars on face.
- Vitamin C serum is especially good for scars, stretch marks etc.
- Skin exfoliating products in general are recommended to remove black scars on face.
If neither the home remedies for black scars on face nor the black scar removal creams have worked for you, it is time to seek a medical solution. Read further.
Dermatological tretments to remove black scars on face
First of all, to remove black scars on face, consult your dermatologist to seek advice regarding the best solution for you. This is a list of possible treatments to get rid of black scars on face.
- Chemical peel: it is mild and regenerates the skin.
- Microdermabrasion: fine crystals scrub the dark scars off your face. Then, a new skin layer forms.
- Laser therapy reduces the accumulated melanin on your dark spot through pulsed light.
- Steroid injections: only for raised scars.
- Dermal fillers: for depressed scars.
Most importantly, remember to always apply a sunscreen with at least SPF 30 every day to prevent your black scars getting darker, and new ones from appearing.
Try our methods on how to get rid of black scars on face and good luck!
If you want to read similar articles to How to Get Rid of Black Scars on Face, we recommend you visit our Beauty & Personal Care category.