How To Contour Your Face to Make it Look Thinner
There are many different face shapes in the world, as all beautiful as the other. However, changing the shape of your face, for whatever reason, is possible with makeup. In the past couple of years contouring has become a phenomenon, allowing people all over the world to reshape and define their facial features.
To find out more about contouring and how to make your face look thinner, keep reading this OneHOWTO article.
Thinner face with contouring
Take a look at our step by step instructions on how to make your face look thinner with contouring techniques:
- Even out skin tone: The aim is to give your face an even, smooth complexion. The first thing you need to do is to apply your foundation and primer as you regularly do. If you don’t want to apply foundation every day, opt for tinted moisturizer instead.
- Apply concealer: Concealer is meant to hide any marks and dark spots in your face so that applying colors becomes a smoother and easier process. Highlight certain areas of your face, especially the ones that you want to bring attention to. Remove dark circles by applying concealer onto your under-eye area. We also recommend applying concealer to the bridge of your nose, central part of your forehead and tip of your chin. Use a wet beauty blender to blend out these sections and then apply a little bit of setting powder.
- Create definition: This is the most important step in the process. You can create a thinning effect on your face by adding shadows to certain areas. Choose a contour powder or cream that is a a little darker than your natural skin tone. Opt for matte shade, as it will give you a natural look. Draw lines from the ears to the centers of your cheek, apply the contouring cream or powder to the hollows of your cheeks. Apply it on the edge of your hairline, on your forehead and on down the sides of your nose. Use a contour brush to blend each area, using smooth upward strokes. This will create an illusion of a smaller nose and forehead and elevated your cheekbones. If you already have a small nose or forehead, then you are free to skip this step.
- Thinning out the jawline: After blending in your cream or powder, continue applying the same darker shade onto either side of your jawline. If you have a rounder shaped face, this technique will make your face look thinner and longer.
- Apply blush and highlight: Take a soft blush and apply it onto the apples of your cheeks. Blend outward using circular motions. Use a nice highlighter to add light and shine to your skin. Dust it down your nose, on top of your cheekbones and over your cupid’s bow. Your face will pop with these shimmery tones.
- Pay attention to your brows: Eyebrows are also very useful when needing to add definition to your face. Using an eyebrow pencil, follow your brows natural arch while filling them. Angular eyebrows draw the eyes upward and create an illusion of a thinner, longer face.
- Give definition to your eyes: Add drama to your eyes to make them the focal point of your face. If you have a fuller face, wear bolder eye makeup to make your face look thinner. Use a black eye liner to give a subtle smoky look. Add definition using black mascara.
- Neutral lips: While you have bolder eye makeup, you can balance out the look with neutral lips. Opt for a natural or nude lip gloss.
How to make your face look thinner
With the following makeup tricks and tips, you can enhance your best facial features and at the same time help make your face appear thinner:
- When using makeup, dark shades are usually used to recede, while lighter shades are used to bring forward certain features. Invest in a matte bronzer or contour color which is a couple shades darker than your natural skin tone. Also grab a shimmery highlighter that is a little lighter than your skin. You may choose to use either a powder or cream product, or both! But, whichever you decide to use, make sure to blend the makeup with a brush.
- To make your cheeks appear slimmer, apply the contour shade in diagonal lines from the center of your cheeks up towards your ears. If pouting while doing this, it will help you in identifying the right placement of the makeup. Be sure to blend. The higher you apply your contour shade, the sharper your cheekbones will appear. In the end, swipe some highlighter on the tops of your cheekbones. This trick will actually bring the contour out.
- To make your nose look thinner, apply some contour powder on the sides of your nose’s bridge. Don’t apply it near your nostrils. Blend down the nose’s bridge in a vertical line. This step will complete the entire effect. Define your jawline by applying bronzer along the area. Blend properly to create contour and avoid double chin.
- You can use light to focus on the central part of your face and downplay its width to make it look slimmer. First of all, highlight the center of your face, then move on to highlight your eyebrows, then on your nose’s bridge, then on your Cupid’s bow on the upper part of your top lip, and finally in the central part of your chin. In the end, blend the contour shade around your hairline and upwards towards your temples to emphasize the angles of your facial bone structure.
If you want to read similar articles to How To Contour Your Face to Make it Look Thinner, we recommend you visit our Beauty & Personal Care category.