How to Clean False Eyelashes for Reuse at Home
Reusable false eyelashes are great as we can continue to use them for a couple of times, depending on their material and quality. However, sometimes these lashes start to look crusty and not as fresh and new as they were before. Thankfully, we can simply clean them at home to get them back to their originals state.
In this oneHOWTOarticle we're going to teach you how to clean your false eyelashes for reuse at home with simple materials! Keep reading and follow our guide to get your false eyelashes looking fresh.
Materials you need to clean your false eyelashes
To clean your false eyelashes you will need:
- Water-based makeup remover: oil-based makeup removers can deform false eyelashes and reduce their adherence when glued. That's why we recommend that you always go for a high-quality, water-based make-up remover. Keep in mind that this maintenance is not only essential for the condition of the eyelashes, but also to prevent them from accumulating dust and dirt particles that can irritate your eyes. Therefore, the more natural and harmless the product you use, the greater the safety.
- Cotton swabs: to wipe the eyelashes, it is best to use cotton swabs. Some people use cotton balls, but these can leave fibers stuck between the eyelashes, so here at oneHOWTO we recommend you stick with cotton swabs.
- Tweezers: Tweezers are only to remove large pieces of glue that may have been between the eyelashes, but in no case should you use them if you can use your fingers, as this will avoid deforming the hairs on the lashes.
- To clean your false eyelashes without makeup remover, you can use neutral soap with water.
To keep your false eyelashes fresh and clean we recommend you wash your false lashes every 10-12 days or as soon as you see them getting a little crusty.
How to clean false eyelashes - step by step
Once you have your tools ready, it's time to start cleaning your false eyelashes. Just remember that this tutorial is best for glued false eyelashes, not so much for the magnetic eyelashes. Now, to clean your false eyelashes for reuse follow these steps:
- Start by washing your hands with neutral soap. This step is essential, since your fingers will come into contact with your eyelashes and your eyes, so they must be well cleaned and disinfected.
- Carefully peel off your false lashes from your eyes, always using the tips of your fingers rather than tweezers or your nails as this is a delicate
- Soak a cotton swab in the water-based makeup remover and wipe off any excess glue that is left on the lash strip.
- Now it's time to clean your lashes thoroughly, so soak two new cotton swabs in the makeup remover and start removing any residue. Start at the base and go out. Do this with both lashes
- To remove more difficult glue residue, you can use tweezers, but always be very careful not to pull out hairs or deform the eyelashes.
- Once you've rubbed them gently with the cotton swabs, place them on a tissue and allow them to air dry completely.
- Optional: once they are dry, you can spray a little rubbing alcohol to remove any bacteria that may have been left in the lashes.
You may also want to check out our article about how to do your makeup for a night out.
Other tricks to better preserve false eyelashes
In addition to the cleaning that we have just shown you, there are other tricks that will allow you to preserve false eyelashes, thus guaranteeing a longer and more effective use.
Brush your false eyelashes
Eyelash brushing after washing is very beneficial to maintain its original curve. To do this, you can use a specific lash comb or, if you don't have one, use a mascara or mascara brush that has already been finished. It is important that the brush is clean before use.
Brush well as if you were applying mascara, always from the bottom up and very carefully. Leave them to air dry before storing.
Store them safely
If you want to keep your lashes in perfect condition, you cannot store them in any place or in any condition. The first thing to keep in mind is that they must be completely dry before storing them. You should also put them in their original box or in an eyelash case. In any case, they should be kept in a closed and airtight place to prevent dust or dirt from getting into them.
In addition to using the specific box to store them, we advise you to store them in a dark and cool place. If they are directly exposed to light they could undergo color changes and deteriorate.
Be careful with what glue you choose
The glue you choose is very important when using false eyelashes. Opt for a high-quality and safe glue made specifically for the type of false eyelash you have chosen. In addition, you need to keep the glue in a safe place to maintain its condition. You should also be careful when applying the glue. Follow the instructions given with the product you ahve chosen as this varies form product to product.
Lastly, we encourage you to also watch the video below so you can follow along and wash your false eyelashes at home. You may also be interested in our article about how to lengthen your eyelashes naturally.
If you want to read similar articles to How to Clean False Eyelashes for Reuse at Home, we recommend you visit our Beauty & Personal Care category.