How to Use Coconut Oil for a Dry Scalp
Coconut oil is not just for cooking, but it has immense benefits for your hair and dry skin too. If you have dry scalp with brittle hair, then you are probably not consuming enough of healthy fats. Coconut oil is laden with antioxidants, and has massive antibacterial, antifungal and antiviral properties. As far as using coconut oil on a dry scalp is concerned, it helps in improving scalp health, fighting fungus and infections, supporting hair growth, and adding shine and volume, that too without any harmful chemicals. In addition, coconut oil is affordable, natural and safe. Read this oneHOWTO article to find out how to use coconut oil for dry scalp.
Use coconut oil for conditioning on dry scalp
It is usually the loss of protein that causes a dry scalp. Coconut oil has lauric acid that penetrates into your dry scalp and nourishes it with minerals, vitamins and fatty acids. You can use it as an intensive as well as a leave-in conditioner. Follow these steps to use coconut oil as a conditioner for dry scalp:
- To style, warm ¼ to ½ tsp of coconut oil in your palms, as needed. Apply it on the shafts and ends of your hair, smooth through them and style your hair as normal.
- If you want to use it as intensive conditioner, wash your hair with a natural shampoo first, warm 1-2 tsp of coconut oil between your palms, and apply on your scalp, hair ends and shafts. Wear a shower cap and leave for 1-2 hours. Then wash with a gentle shampoo.
- Add 2 drops of geranium or sandalwood essential oil in 1-2 tsp of coconut oil, apply on your scalp and hair, and leave until next wash.
Use coconut oil for hair growth on dry scalp
Coconut oil can actually help your hair grow thicker, longer and shinier, even if you have dry scalp. Lauric acid, along with other nutrients in the oil, penetrates into your hair shafts and improves your overall hair health. Use coconut oil in the following ways to promote hair growth on dry scalp:
- Massage coconut oil into your scalp, as it will improve your blood circulation and promote hair growth. Massage while applying gentle pressure on your scalp for around 10 minutes, for about 3-4 times every week.
- Add 3-4 drops of rosemary essential oil in coconut oil and massage on your scalp. Rosemary essential oil is known to increase hair growth significantly.
- After massage, wear a shower cap and leave for 15 minutes. Then use a natural cleanser or shampoo to wash off the oil.
Use coconut oil for treating dandruff on dry scalp
Dandruff is often the result of dry skin conditions, in addition to sensitivity to chemicals and fungal infection. If your dandruff is caused due to a dry scalp, then topical application of coconut oil on a regular basis can actually make a difference.
After washing your hair, mix 5 drops of tea tree, thyme, wintergreen or lavender oil in 2 tsp of coconut oil, and massage on your scalp for around 10 minutes. Wear a shower cap and leave for 30 minutes, then wash your hair with a gentle shampoo. Repeat 2-3 times in a week and you will soon get rid of scalp dryness.
Use coconut oil for washing your dry scalp
This is a great coconut oil shampoo recipe that will leave your hair healthy and soft. People with fine hair will need a very small amount of coconut oil, and the more thick and curly your hair are, you will need to add more oil into it.
To make this shampoo, you will need 1 cup castile soap, 1/3 cup coconut milk, 1/3 cup coconut oil, and 2 tbsp of your favorite essential oil. You can use any of the oils, including lemongrass, clary sage, rosemary, wild orange, lavender or peppermint oil. Melt the coconut oil in a bowl, add coconut milk to it and heat on low flame. Pour in a bottle, top with castile soap, secure the lid and shake well. Open the lid, add your favorite essential oil into it, and shake again.
If you prefer, you can also learn to make a coconut oil hair mask too.
If you want to read similar articles to How to Use Coconut Oil for a Dry Scalp, we recommend you visit our Beauty & Personal Care category.