How to choose a cocktail dress that suits you perfectly
If you've received an invitation for a wedding, an important event or a big party don't worry thinking about what to wear, a spectacular cocktail dress is just what you need. Among the most sophisticated long gowns and of the freshest mini dresses, we find the cocktail dresses, a protocol dress for women at certain events. They are very smart and stylish garments that enhance the figure of all women who wear it. If you have not found yours, check out this OneHowTo.com article and discover how to choose a cocktail dress that suits you perfectly, success is guaranteed!
The cocktail dress, which is characterized by its knee-length cut, or a few inches above or below it, can serve to as an elegant outfit at a special event, fancy party or important meeting. There are all kinds of models and designs of cocktail dresses so you must find the one that best suits your figure and makes you look great.
Browse fashion catalogues, magazines or websites where you will find the current trends in cocktail dresses to get an idea and define the style of dress you would like to wear. Then check out some shops or boutiques to see how well those dresses suit you and see if they fit your needs. You can also make the purchase, if you prefer, online , although it will be a little risky especially if you do not have much time to make returns.
To choose the perfect cocktail dress to suit your body shape you need to think of the parts of your body that you would like to highlight and which, by contrast, you want to hide such as your belly, chest, hips, etc. So you can choose different necklines, different waists, different fits etc...
- If you are pear shaped and want to hide your waist, choose a strapless dress to focus the attention on your shoulders. If you have broad shoulders, go for a neck-tied dress with a bit of cleavage. What's most important is to wear an A shaped dress.
- If you are an inverted triangle, i.e big top and slender hips, the best thing to do is go for a V necked dress or A-shaped top part so we can focus on the bottom, which we can enhance with plaited lines and volume to create an hourglass figure.
- If you are lucky enough to have an hourglass figure and have proportionate waist and top, you can go for tighter cuts, you can even show off your cleavage slightly and avoid high neck lines.
- If you have a rectangular figure, or hardly any curves, you should try to create them with the type of dress we choose. Peplum waists are great for this figure, as well as focusing on your waist to give your figure more definition, so go for a two-piece or one with a belt-like waist.
- Last but not least, apple shaped women should go to more draping styles that can hide the extra bulge around the middle such as wrap dresses, as these can also enhance the bust area.
The most important part of looking great is feeling confident and sure of yourself! Remember how you look and feel is the same as how others see you.
The material of the dress is a factor you should think in terms of the location and date the event takes place. For events that take place in summer, we recommend wearing satin, linen or cotton, while in winter you can opt for wool or brocades.
Never drop your personal style when choosing a cocktail dress. There are sundresses, sleeveless, strapless or, more sophisticated dresses, with long or three quarter sleeves, there are many options to choose from to reflect your tastes and personality. Still, some of the events for which we carry these items require certain protocol standards so it is better avoid plunging necklines both on the front and the back as well as dresses that are too ornate and extravagant.
Find out what the colours of the season are to be trendy and wear a cocktail dress that stands out. You have to choose between plain dresses, two coloured dresses, embossed dresses, dresses with rhinestones, etc. The traditional white or black dress is a safe bet, but if you want where a splash of colour to the event, choose colours like red, soft pink or blue, they are very fashionable and look great in spring or summer.
Complete your cocktail dress with accessories such as jewellery and, of course, a handbag. Ideally, bring a small bag that attracts attention and contrasts well with the colour of the dress. A type that is succeeding among celebrities for this type of event is the box clutch, a rigid and square clutch that is available in many colours and designs.
Shoes can also take the call when it comes to a cocktail dress outfit. If you are wearing a dress with more than one color we suggest choosing your clutch and high heeled shoes in the same color so they match one of the colors of your dress.
But if your dress only has one color, you can risk it and go wild with some statements shoes so all the eyes focus on your gorgeous heels!
If you want to read similar articles to How to choose a cocktail dress that suits you perfectly, we recommend you visit our Fashion & Style category.