How to Prevent and Treat Hair Loss
In order to prevent and treat hair loss you should:
- determine the cause of hair loss
- improve your diet, consume foods rich in iron
- reduce stress levels
- use a mild shampoo
- avoid exposure to heat
Hair loss is a condition that affects many men and women and, although genetic factors have much to do with it, the causes can be multiple. Among the most common are nutritional deficiencies, stress, use of certain drugs, abuse of chemicals or certain diseases that affect hair follicles. Whatever the reason, if you want to know how to prevent and treat hair loss efficiently, then carefully read the tips in this ONEhowto article. They will help you protect the health of your hair and regain its strength.
Firstly, determine the cause of hair loss. It is important that you make sure whether the hair loss you are suffering from can be considered alopecia. This refers to excessive hair loss, namely a loss of more than 100 hairs per day. Should you notice such a marked loss and a significant reduction in the density of your hair, you will be better off put yourself in the hands of a specialist in hair health so he or she can determine the exact cause of the alopecia and start the most appropriate treatment for your case. There are different ways to treat alopecia and some of the most common are steroid injections, creams that stimulate hair growth or products which reactivate cellular activity in the scalp, such as the famous minoxidil.
There are several factors that can cause excessive hair from falling, the most common being an inadequate diet which is poor in nutrients and vitamins. Nutritional deficiencies lead to a lack of energy in the hair follicles and this weakens it and leads to hair loss. That is why it will be essential to make some changes to your diet and, above all, include foods that help strengthen hair, such as:
- Iron-rich foods: red meats, green leafy vegetables, lentils, chickpeas, seafood, peas and whole grains.
- Antioxidant-rich foods: berries, citrus fruits, tomatoes, kiwi, lean meats, oily fish, carrots, cabbage and broccoli.
- Foods rich in folic acid: spinach, asparagus, pulses, chicken liver, beef liver, egg, strawberry, banana, papaya and cereals.
- Foods rich in vitamin A, B, C and E.
Discover more specifically what your diet should contain in our article vitamins for healthy hair.
Often the underlying cause of hair loss is daily stress and nervousness. If this is your case, you should try to manage your stress and search for solutions that favour relaxation such as doing yoga, pilates or meditation. Sometimes these activities are not enough. When stress becomes a prolonged condition that negatively affects your health you will need to seek professional help and guidance to learn how to control these emotions.
There are certain medicines and pharmaceutical treatments that can have strong side effects, including hair loss. Therefore you should inquire beforehand on whether a treatment may cause excessive hair loss and if so talk to your doctor to evaluate the possibility of replacing it with another drug to treat the disease you suffer from without affecting your hair.
A good daily hair care is also key to treating and prevent hair loss as excessive use of some products or poor hygiene can end up damaging your hair and causing its premature loss. Take note of the following tips to always have healthy and radiant hair:
- Use a soft, nourishing shampoo that fortifies your hair. You can try natural homemade shampoo
- Always choose hair products and lotions according to your hair type.
- Apply a moisturising mask once a week. For a specific natural treatment, try amla.
- Do not use very hot water to wash your hair.
- Brush your hair regularly.
- Do not overuse hair dryers, irons, curling irons, etc., or colourings and aggressive hair treatments.
- Have a trim at least every three months to have your hair healthy and renewed.
If what you are looking for are natural solutions to help you curb your hair loss, you should know that some of the most effective treatments are aloe vera creams, applying infusions of rosemary, horsetail or nettles or using apple cider vinegar. Find out how to use natural remedies on your hair to strengthen it by visiting the article home remedies for hair loss.
If you'd like to read similar articles to How to Prevent and Treat Hair Loss, we recommend you browse around our Beauty & Personal Care category.