How to Make Your Shoes Waterproof
During the rainy season we bring out our colorful rubber boots and trot stylishly. But there are some days when we are wearing our favorite shoe and a sudden shower greets us on our way making us duck for covers. Even if you have got ample cover for yourself till the rain stops there is a very great chance that you might encounter a puddle in your way ruining your beautiful shoes. To avoid such situations waterproofing becomes our best option. If you live in a place where rain is constant, check out this article and find out how to make your shoes waterproof.
Waterproofing product and shoe material
We love to stack up shoes of various designs and material. But the same waterproofing does not go well with every material. If you use the wrong waterproofing product then it might damage the shoes rather than protecting them. Here is a list of waterproofing products you can use for your various shoe materials:
- Lotion/Cream, Oils and Beeswax are great for waterproofing soft leather.
- Spray-on water proofers are best for suede, silks and exotic skin like snake skin.
Never waterproof shoes which are made of shiny leather or patent leather as it will ruin the finish. Also do not waterproof the embellishments and hairs.
Patch test before waterproofing
Before applying cosmetics on our body we do a patch test so that we can decide whether the product suit us or not. Similarly before waterproofing your whole shoe, do a patch test on a discreet part of the shoe. This will help you to know whether the waterproofing product brings and visible change in your shoes like color change.
Waterproofing the shoes
Before waterproofing the shoe make sure that it is clean. For new shoes just wipe a clean cloth over it to make sure that there are no dust particles on it. Also cover all the embellishments, trims, hairs or jewels on the shoe as they might get damaged by the waterproofing product.
- Waterproofing with beeswax: If you are using beeswax to waterproof your shoes then its best to wear a glove as the wax might get on your hand. Now take the wax and rub it all over your shoe. Then take a blow dryer and blow dry over the shoe so that the wax melts and is sealed on the shoe material. Let it cool for five minutes and after that time your waterproof shoes are ready!
- Waterproofing with Lotion/Oil: At first read the direction given on the label of the lotion or oil. Open the oil / lotion and take out a generous amount on a clean towel. Then rub it all over your leather shoes. Let it sit for 10 minutes. Then take another clean towel and wipe off the excess waterproofing product left on the shoes. Now just wait for 24 hours before flaunting your beautiful shoes without caring about the puddle.
- Waterproofing with spray-on: At first shake your spray can. Hold your shoe in the other hand and keep it about 8 inches away from the spray can. Now start spraying on the shoe with even motion. Make sure you cover the whole shoe. Then let it sit for half an hour. After 30 minutes, apply a second coat over the entire shoe. Your shoe is now water and snow proof!
For having the best results and keeping your shoes always waterproof, you can repeat the process again after a year or so. This way your shoes will always be waterproof.
If you want to read similar articles to How to Make Your Shoes Waterproof, we recommend you visit our Fashion & Style category.