A clean contact lens is very important to maintain healthy eyes. Dirty contact lens can create havoc for the eyes by causing infection and sometimes can even compromise your vision permanently. Therefore, contact lenses should be cleaned regularly to avoid any nasty incidents. Currently there are two types of lens available: hard contact lens and soft contact lens, with different methods required to clean them both. If you want to know how to keep contact lenses clean then keep reading this oneHOWTO article.
Hard Contact Lenses and Soft Contact Lenses
First time users of contact lenses are often confused whether they should choose a hard or soft lens. Both lenses are made of plastic-like material, but the real difference lies in the feel. Hard contact lenses are a bit uncomfortable because they don't allow any air to pass through. Also, wearers of hard contact lenses are aware of the presence of the lens in their eyes all the time. Soft lenses are much more comfortable when worn. A person wearing soft contact lenses likely won’t even feel their presence in their eyes. If you think this makes the deciswon to wear hard or soft contact lenses a no-brainer, you should know that, generally, hard contact lenses provide a better vision than soft lenses. They are also much more durable and resistant to wear and tear.
Cleaning Soft Contact Lenses
Here are the steps you'll need to take to clean soft contact lenses:
- First wash your hands and then dry them on a lint free towel.
- Remove the first soft contact lenses from your eyes and place it on your palm.
- Pour a generous amount of contact lens cleaning solution in the palm of your hand.
- Using the cleaning solution, rub the lens in the palm of your hand with your forefinger. Do not rub the lens in a circular motion. Use a back and forth motion instead.
- Now rinse the lens to remove the loosened dirt.
- Place the lens in the lens holder / case. Then fill it with fresh solution.
- Repeat the steps for the other lens too.
Cleaning Hard Contact Lenses
Although hard contact lenses are more durable, they still require a delicate touch when following these cleaning steps:
- First wash your hands with soap and water. Then dry them in a lint free towel.
- The next step is to clean the lens case. Clean it by rinsing it and then filling it up with new cleaning solution.
- Remove one of the hard contact lens from your eyes and place it in the palm of your hand.
- Put a drop of cleaning solution on the lens and let it soak for few seconds.
- After that place your forefinger on the lens and rub it in an up and down/back and forth motion. Do not rub the lens in circular motion as it can damage the lens.
- When the lens is cleaned, put it in the lens case and shut the case tightly.
- Repeat the same cleaning process with the other lens and then shut it in the case.
- Leave the contact lenses in their cases for the time duration recommended by the manufacturer.
If you think you may want to avoid the hassles contact lenses can often cause, maybe you'll want to stick to regular eye glasses and this article on how often you should change your glasses might help.
If you want to read similar articles to How to Keep Contact Lenses Clean, we recommend you visit our Fashion & Style category.