How to Fix Broken Cosmetics
We've all dropped one of our favorite cosmetics on the floor, or worse, dropped the whole makeup bag on the floor. If you find your eye shadow, blusher or powders have been shattered when you've picked them up, don't worry! In this OneHowTo article, we reveal the best tricks for repairing these cosmetics so you can reuse them without a problem. In addition, we also have a solution for products such as mascaras or nail polish, which can dry out over time, so you can use them like you could when they were new. Take a note of all of our tips on how to fix broken cosmetics.
How to fix broken makeup powder
It is very easy for powdered makeup products, such as blusher, eye shadow or pressed powders, to break into a thousand pieces if they fall on the floor or for them to simply end up disintegrating completely when there is little product left. If this is the case, put into practice the following steps to fix your cosmetic powders and re-use them:
- Grab a piece of paper and use it to help collect any makeup powder that may have fallen on the floor.
- Now, with the help of a knife or something similar, crush the bits until they turn into a fine powder.
- Place this powder back into its container or another small container and add a few drops of alcohol that you use to disinfect cuts at home.
- Stir the mixture with a spoon until it creates a fairly thick mass.
- Once the makeup has returned back to normal, get a piece of absorbent paper and press it against the makeup to remove any traces of alcohol.
- Finally, leave the cosmetic to dry out completely for a day and then you'll see how it's returned to its original state as if by magic.
If you don't have any alcohol around home then take a look at how to fix broken make up powder without alcohol.
How to fix broken lipstick
Snapping your lipstick literally in two is another common accident, either when you've used excessive force when applying it or when you've twisted it too roughly. Before you consider throwing it away and buying a new lipstick that's the same color, try the next trick and you'll be able to wear that lipstick as often as you like.
- First, place both parts of the lipstick in question into two plastic bags, i.e. each piece in a separate bag.
- Put the two bags of lipstick into the freezer and leave them there for about 10 minutes. It is important that they are kept apart and aren't touching each other.
- After 10 minutes, remove the lipsticks from the freezer. Warm the lipstick base i.e. the part of the lipstick that has remained in its packaging.
- Then, take the piece of broken lipstick and place it on top of the base you've just slightly melted.
- Reapply a little heat to the part connecting the two pieces to melt it.
- Finally, place the fixed lipstick in the freezer for about 10 minutes and hey presto!
For further details, we recommend that you consult our article on how to fix a broken lipstick.
How to fix a thick or dry nail varnish
If nail varnish is not kept in the right conditions it can end up drying out or acquiring a rather thick consistency. This means that it won't paint onto your nails very well and it will be practically impossible to apply nail color. There are several tricks for this that can help renew your favorite nail varnish in a few minutes. Note the following tips:
- Add a few drops of acetone or nail varnish remover into your nail varnish bottle to adjust its dry or thick consistency.
- If you don't own either product, you can also add a few drops of alcohol or hydrogen peroxide.
- You can also get good results by lightly warming up your damaged nail varnish. To do this, heat a cup of water, place the nail varnish in it and allow it to sit for a few minutes over low heat.
- If you want to preserve all of your nail polish's properties and repair it in a safe way, there are specific thinners that have been manufactured for this purpose on the market.
How to fix dry mascara
Just as with nail varnish, mascara also tends to dry out or harden over time when it's been in contact with air. With these methods, you can extend the life of your mascara a little longer and give your lashes the length and shape you want.
- Firmly close your mascara and place it into a glass of hot water for a few minutes.
- Add a few drops of olive oil or almond oil to the mascara, close it and shake it vigorously for a few seconds.
Solution fix foundation that's too light or too dark
When buying foundation, it's common to make the mistake of choosing a foundation that's too light or too dark for your natural skin tone. If this has ever happened when you've returned home and realised this is not the best tone for your face, you can do the following tricks to get the most out of your purchase:
- If the foundation is too light, you just have to mix it with another darker makeup that you already have at home. Place both products on the back of your hand, mix them together with a brush and then apply to your face as normal.
- If your foundation is too dark, we recommend that you add some of your moisturiser to tone it down. You'll see how well this works!
If you want to read similar articles to How to Fix Broken Cosmetics, we recommend you visit our Beauty & Personal Care category.