How to Alleviate an Itchy Scalp With Home Remedies
We all experience an itchy head at some point. It can be due to various factors such as using the wrong shampoo, dehydration, etc. This is why it's important to know how to treat it using home remedies.
In this oneHOWTO article we are going to show you some home remedies for an itchy scalp. We will go through the causes and different ways of treating an itchy scalp from home.
Causes of the itchy head
Although an itchy head is associated with dandruff, it can be caused by different reasons. Before treating an itchy scalp, it's best to know what cause it. This is because it will help you determine the best home remedy to treat it. These are some of the most common causes:
- Existence of any eczema
- Itching or irritation caused by periods of stress
- Allergic reaction to a cosmetic product
- Dehydration of the scalp
- Poorly clarified hair during washing
Egg yolk for hair
If your head itching is due to dryness or dehydration, the most recommended natural remedy to rehydrate and nourish the area is egg yolk.
An irritated scalp can present symptoms such as itchy head and pimples in certain areas. The egg helps calm and prevent itching in the area since it is a food rich in vitamins, minerals and fatty acids. This home remedy will help you alleviate the symptoms of an itchy head. For this home remedy you will need:
- Beat one or two yolks (depending on the amount or length of your hair) and reserve them in a small bowl.
- Wash your hair with the usual shampoo.
- Drain the hair to remove moisture and apply the mixture with the yolks to the scalp.
- Leave to act for 10-15 minutes.
- Rinse with plenty of warm water.
Learn other beauty tricks in our article about beauty uses for egg whites.
Tea tree oil and coconut oil mask
If you have a skin infection or an itchy head caused by eczema, this home remedy can help you. These two oils have antibacterial and antimicrobial properties capable of eliminating fungi and bacteria caused by skin problems. You should be aware that if you have a wound from scratching yourself too much, tea tree oil can cause irritation in that area.
This is what you will need to make this mask:
- 7 drops of tea tree oil
- 45 ml coconut oil (3 tablespoons)
Ideally you will apply this mask at night and leave it to act while you sleep. Another option is to apply it in the morning and let it act throughout the day. The preparation of the mask is made as follows:
- Mix the tea tree essential oil in a bowl with the 3 tablespoons of coconut oil.
- Spread the mixture over the scalp.
- Cover yourself with a shower cap and leave it on overnight.
- The next day, wash your hair as you normally would.
Calendula infusion for hair
This medicinal plant is one of the most effective remedies to control head itching due to stress. Calendula has anti-inflammatory, antiseptic and antibacterial properties, as well as a great capacity to maintain hydration of the skin, even the most sensitive ones. Calendula infusion is applied as a conditioner without rinsing. Follow these easy instructions to use this home remedy:
- Prepare the calendula infusion.
- Wash your hair as you usually do and rinse it.
- Drain the hair to remove excess moisture and apply the infusion liquid throughout the hair.
- Comb to detangle and use the product.
- Do not rinse, you must let the product dry.
Learn more about powerful infusions, such as a sage infusion.
Lemon for dandruff
One of the most frequent causes of head itching is dandruff , a Dandruff a peeling of the superficial layer of the scalp caused by an excess of dead cells.
Lemon, due to its contribution of vitamin C and its antifungal properties , helps fight dandruff by regulating sebum production and preventing the appearance of fungi and bacteria. This is how you should apply it to combat dandruff itching :
- Squeeze the juice from one or two lemons (depending on the length or amount of hair).
- Moisten the hair and apply the lemon juice all over the hair.
- Massage your fingertips with your fingertips for a few minutes.
- Comb the hair to make sure the product reaches all areas.
- Leave an exposure time of 5 minutes.
- Wash your hair with your usual shampoo and warm or cold water.
If you want more information on How to use lemon for dandruff , be sure to visit this article.
Peppermint essential oil for hair
Peppermint oil is the best home remedy when itching is caused by excess oil on the scalp. Seborrhoea can cause itching, peeling, inflammation and even hair loss due to clogging of the pores by sebum.
If you want to calm the itch, regulate the production of sebum and activate the circulation of your scalp, try this home remedy. To prepare it, follow these instructions:
- Pour 100 ml of your usual shampoo into a measuring glass.
- Add 5 drops of peppermint essential oil.
- Shake vigorously to integrate both products.
- Wash your head with this shampoo and you will notice the freshness and relief from the first wash.
It is recommended to follow these instructions, since if you add more peppermint oil than we indicated, you can get the opposite effect and irritate the scalp more by the effect of peppermint.
Learn how to make homemade peppermint oil in our article.
We hope these home remedies for an itchy scalp has help you. Let us know in the comments below which remedy you prefer!
If you want to read similar articles to How to Alleviate an Itchy Scalp With Home Remedies, we recommend you visit our Beauty & Personal Care category.